Women’s Albany College League Commemcoration and Women’s Building Dedication
Date: March 9, 2007 PST Location: Manor House Armstrong Lounge
Manor House Armstrong Lounge
As part of the 26th Annual Gender Studies Symposium, Lewis & Clark College will be commemorating the Women’s Building and celebrating the Women’s Albany College League:
March 9, 2007
Reception and Dedication
Frank Manor House
From 1923 to 1967, an intrepid group known as the Women’s Albany College League
raised funds “to promote the welfare of Albany College” (which became Lewis & Clark College in 1942). The women organized teas, plays, lyceums, rummage sales, chain lunches, and bazaars–and shared their largesse with the College.
In the early 1940s, when the College was looking for a campus compatible with its expanding vision, trustees asked the league to donate its assets and forgive loans to help support the gift-purchase of the Lloyd Frank Estate. In return, the board said it would name the principal residence or mansion house the Women’s Building and use it as a “women’s dormitory and social hall.” The league approved the request and contributed nearly a third of the estate’s total price. Through most of the 1940s, yearbooks and other sources indicate the building was indeed called the Women’s Building. But by the early 1950s, the name had fallen out of use.
In 2006, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Gender Studies Symposium, Lewis & Clark created a bronze plaque to recognize the unsung contributions of the Women’s Albany College League. Join us as we dedicate the plaque and formally thank the Women’s Albany College League at this celebratory event (co-sponsored by the Gender Symposium and the Albany Society).
We hope to see you there. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.768.7950 with questions.
The Albany Society Board of Directors
Ron Clemenson ‘55, Eloise Hannah Cole ‘54, Jim Cole ‘54, , Curt Copenhagen ‘55, Janice Cox ‘55, Rod Downey ‘50, Neil Farmer ‘51, Janet Eastman ‘49, John Fergison ‘51, Don Floren ‘53, Bob Godel ‘51, Pat Hibbard ‘52, Ray Hoen ‘54, Don Hoyt ‘50, Donna Lawrence ‘52, Frank Lawrence ‘52, Bill Mangels ‘55, Bob McEnany ‘50, Dick Mort ‘50, Euphama Partlow ‘53, Bud Shafer ‘53, Jack Venables ‘56