Law students receive valuable practical skills with PEAC
June 07, 2011
Consistently ranked number one or number two in U.S. News rankings for more than a decade, the environmental and natural resources law program at Lewis & Clark offers students unparalleled opportunities to be directly involved in complex litigation, negotiation, and practical advocacy.
Among those opportunities is the Lewis & Clark environmental law clinic, the Pacific Environmental Advocacy Center (PEAC). Founded in 1996, PEAC is a nationally recognized domestic environmental legal clinic. PEAC attorneys collaborate with law school faculty, staff, and students to protect endangered species, ecosystems, and natural resources through pro bono representation, litigation, training, and education.
In this video, Professor of Law Dan Rohlf, a co-founder of PEAC who currently holds the Of Counsel position, and law students Jessica Johnson ’11 and John Krallman ’11 discuss the scope of the clinic’s work and the degree of student involvement.
Earlier this year, PEAC reached a major settlement with the Environmental Protection Agency, ending a decade-long battle over invasive species entering U.S. waters from international ships. Learn more about PEAC online.
Additional clinics and practical skills opportunities
PEAC is just one of the many clinics at Lewis & Clark Law School. Other opportunities include:
- International Environmental Law Project is the only on-campus legal clinic focusing solely on international environmental law in the nation
- Animal Law Clinic is the only clinic of its kind in the country
- Small Business Legal Clinic provides business transactional legal advice to new and emerging businesses, primarily those owned by women, minorities, and recent immigrants
- Crime Victim Litigation Clinic offers students the opportunity to work closely with attorneys on a wide range of victims’ rights related issues
- Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic gives students the opportunity to represent taxpayers of lesser means in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service
- Lewis & Clark Legal Clinic is a civil practice clinic representing low-income individuals experiencing a variety of civil and administrative law problems
- For a comprehensive list of all of the practical skills opportunities Lewis & Clark offers, visit the law school’s Clinics and Practical Skills webpage.