How do I promote my event?
March 24, 2010
The Source is just one possible channel for event promotion; many other resources and channels are available to help the Lewis & Clark community publicize events. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Announcement in The Source
Send your event announcement exactly as you would like it appear to email@example.com. Please note that announcements about events need to do more than reiterate the same details from your online event listing. Please describe a dimension of the event specific to faculty and staff and explain why they might want to consider attending.
Featured Event listing
Post your event to the calendar in LiveWhale (Lewis & Clark’s content management system):
- Make sure it’s tagged “open to the public”
- Make sure it’s tagged to post on the digital screens
- If you include a photo, it will be considered for the event display ads on homepage
- Suggest it to “Home: Events”
Once posted, it will be considered for:
- Featured events listing on our homepage
- Events round-up distribution to local newspapers
- Paid events ad (coordinated by Michael Ford and Joe Becker)
- Promotion on social media (Facebook and Twitter)
Send your announcement to the three student listservs
You may request that your information be included in the daily or weekly emails that are distributed to each student listserv by emailing your announcement to the appropriate contact at each school:
- For the college’s weekly Opportunities and Announcements email, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the law school’s weekly and daily announcement emails, contact email@example.com
- For the graduate school’s weekly email, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that these emails cannot include business solicitation.)
Event planners can spread the word about their campus events through the mailings, flyers, posters, announcements in The Green, collaborations with community groups or nonprofits in the area, and targeted email messages to groups on and off campus.
If you have questions about event promotion, feel free to contact the PR team (email@example.com). Each event is different, so you should plan to set up a meeting or discuss via email what specific steps the PR team can take to support you. Please be aware that, the less notice you give the PR staff, the less they can do to help you.