Primary Job Functions
The Database Specialist assists the Director of Advancement Services in the maintenance of the College’s constituent database systems, Raiser’s Edge. This person assists, advises, and represents Institutional Advancement by performing administrative duties of considerable scope and complexity requiring the exercise of initiative, independent judgment, and knowledge of College advancement activities and staff element responsibilities. The Database Specialist maintains the integrity of the database by updating, tracking, researching and monitoring how data is stored. The data monitored includes solicitation methods, exclusions, employment, academics, affiliations, involvement, affinity, legacy, contacts (phones, fax, e-mail, and addresses) and is maintained for all individuals and organizations.
- Works closely with the Director of Advancement Services to identify and understand Advancement’s objectives and ensure that these objectives are met with the best possible use of resources.
- Maintain Advancement systems’ software to ensure integrity by regularly verifying and auditing data for accuracy This involves:
- Analysis of what data cleanup projects needs to be done each year.
- Scheduling the data cleanup projects, assigning/delegating to the team, and managing its completion.
- Setup and running recurring queries to evaluate data cleanup needs
- Decision making of what data is valid from other databases
- Ensuring proper formatting address changes in accordance with USPS/NCOA guidelines
- Knowledge of structure of data in Colleague, Raiser’s Edge and other on-campus databases such as Center of Community Engagement’s Filemaker database
- Identifies and utilizes external research tools, such as Lexis Nexis, in order to verify that data being entered into Raiser’s Edge is accurate and current
- Uses judgment and allocates departmental resources to maintain and clean database throughout the year.
- In charge of processing User Sign-up Requests (approximately 1,200 per quarter) and Event Registrations (approximately 1,800 per quarter) for new constituents in the Blackbaud NetCommunity plugin in Raiser’s Edge.
- Maintains Advancement Services online request tracking system (ASORTS), including tracking all data requests, staff task assignments, query details, task statuses, and all task actions.
- Remains current on emerging trends relating to Advancement systems, as well as gift receiving and receipting laws and procedures.
- Performs global database updates to constituent records, with supervision from the Director of Advancement Services.
- Produces non-financial and non-solicitation lists for College and Development staff, with supervision from the Director of Advancement Services.
- Works on database projects including but not limited to, the creation of new student and parent records, updating status of current students and graduate information, updating student withdrawals and transfers, updating overseas students, updating constituent attributes, tracking new hires and terminations of faculty and staff, cleaning up of corporate records, updating constituency codes and solicitation codes.
- Researches various demographic changes and updates constituent records, enters and updates addresses, phone numbers, employment information, parent/child relationships, company contacts and other information relative to the College’s constituent and organization records in Raiser’s Edge.
- Creates new constituent records in Raiser’s Edge from data supplied by development staff and campus departments.
- Updates records based on information returned from Phonathon callers during the twice a year Phonathon campaign.
- Saves constituent related documentation in Raiser’s Edge using the department’s document imaging solution, PaperSave, as needed.
- Maintains a current Constituent Data Management and Education Record Coding Policies and Procedure manual.
- Maintains the Advancement Services calendar for regular database updates and works with relevant departments in gathering required information.
- Works with the Director of Advancement Services to identify best practices for tracing “lost” constituent records.
- Works with Director of Advancement Services to prepare specialized lists when requested by the President’s office.
- Trains and supervises student employees on areas relevant to database projects.
- Trains and advises College staff on Raiser’s Edge navigation and best practices.
- Assists in setting up new Raiser’s Edge users by ensuring completion of New User Request Form and FERPA training.
- Provides back-up support to the Gifts Management Coordinator including the receiving, recording, legal receipting, and acknowledging of charitable contributions to the College in accordance with donor intent, Lewis & Clark College policies and adherence to the IRS rules and regulations governing contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Provides back-up support to the Database Support & Administrative Specialist in processing database and demographic update requests received daily through the team’s general email update account, Raiser’s Edge NetCommunity sign up requests and profile updates, mail returns, or staff requests.
- Assists in the identification of prospective donors.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of departmental or office administration by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, students and staff, and handling of all departmental requests.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Director of Advancement Services.