International Student Application Checklist
Items to Accompany Your Application
- Online Common Application (free) or paper Common Application with essay attached.
- Common Application Supplement
- Official transcripts of all secondary school and college grades. (If you have attended an ESL program in the US, please include a transcript from that program as well). Transcripts should be in the original language and be accompanied by officially translated English copies. These forms are usually sent in a sealed envelope by your high school counselor. You should send an updated transcript throughout the year as it becomes available.
- A Certificate of Financial Responsibility. This form is required, but is usually submitted as part of the online application form. If a copy is needed, you can follow the link and download the form.
- Proof of funding. The Certificate of Financial Responsibility lists the necessary documents that need to be included, such as official documents from employers, banks, and tax office.
- If applying for financial aid, a completed financial aid application. Lewis & Clark accepts either its International Student Financial Aid Application or the College Board’s Foreign Student Financial Aid Application.
- An essay. An essay is required but is usually submitted as part of the online application form. If you are applying with a paper version of L&C’s application form, an autobiography and a statement of the student’s academic purpose substitute for the essay.
- Proof of English proficiency.* For required scores, refer to English proficiency requirements.
- Counselor’s Report form, if attending an international/American school abroad.
- Teacher’s Recommendation form, completed by a teacher who has taught you in an academic course (English, mathematics, science, foreign language, history, or social studies).
- A US $50 nonrefundable fee (only if you file an international student paper application). If you apply online, you do NOT need to send the fee.
- SAT and/or ACT scores are optional for international student applicants, but are highly recommended for applicants who attend international/American schools. These are considered official if reported on the official high school transcript or received directly from a testing agency. Lewis & Clark’s SAT code is 4384 and ACT code is 3464.
*Applicants who are native English speakers are not required to submit proof of English proficiency. Instead, please submit standardized test scores (SAT or ACT) or apply via the Portfolio Path.
The Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) is located in Templeton Campus Center on the Undergraduate Campus.
Director and Associate Dean of StudentsBrian White
Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS)
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 192
Portland, OR 97219