Oregon State Driver’s License / Identification Card
One of the first things you should do when you arrive at Lewis & Clark is to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain an Oregon ID (identification) card, or a driver’s license if you plan on driving. The Oregon ID card/driver’s license will enable you to cash your personal checks at stores in the Portland area. In order to obtain an ID card/driver’s license, you must go to the DMV in person.
The nearest DMV office is located at:
3 Monroe Parkway, #V
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
TEL: (503) 299-9999
Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Wednesday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Hours for Knowledge tests: Monday-Friday from opening time until 3:30 p.m.
In order to obtain an Oregon ID card or driver’s license, you must provide the following information:
- An unexpired foreign passport that includes your I-94 form.
- Proof of residence address: You can show this by providing mail you’ve received from a bank or credit card company, a government office, or other verifiable business. If you don’t have anything that fits this description ask that a letter be sent in the mail to your address from the International Students and Scholars office giving your name, US address, and telephone number (which proves your place of residence).
- Your Lewis & Clark ID card.
- Your original/official US Social Security card / Or / Your signature on an “Oath” card (available at the DMV) stating that you have never been assigned a social security number.
- Your mother’s maiden name.
The DMV charges $60 for a driver’s license valid for eight years and $44.50 for an Oregon ID card. Replacement cards are approximately $30. The DMV does not accept credit or debit cards. If you plan to obtain a driver’s license, you have to take three tests:
- a vision test
- a written test on Oregon driving laws
- a driving test
The Oregon Driver’s Manual describes these tests and provides you with the information needed in order to pass them. This manual can be obtained at the ISS or at the DMV.
The Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) is located in Templeton Campus Center on the Undergraduate Campus.
Director and Associate Dean of StudentsBrian White
Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS)
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 192
Portland, OR 97219