Social Media Best Practices
Questions about social media? Contact Public Relations.
What should you post in social media?
- Announcements— Announce upcoming events, achievements by students, faculty, or alumni, and important dates.
- Photos— Post photos of campus, an event, students, and alumni.
- Trivia— Share a fun fact about the school or an alumnus.
- Question—Ask an open-ended question (e.g., “What’s your favorite place on campus?”).
- Link—Link to an outside news story or press release (e.g., The Oregonian).
- Video—Embed or link to a video.
- Giveaway— Offer a prize if fans take an action or post a comment. NOTE: Please make sure you’re following Facebook’s promotions guidelines!
- Athletics—Give updates on Pioneers’ scores, upcoming games, and athletes.
When and how should you respond to posts made by others in social media?
Before responding to a post or comment in social media, ask yourself:
- Does this comment or post need a response?
- Am I the right person to respond? If not, who would be the right person?
Be sure to respond to posts and comments with these tips in mind:
- Always try to speak in the first person.
- Focus on the subject matter, not the person.
- Be personable and respectful.
- Whenever possible, share a link to an official source to clarify an issue and offer to help in the future.
Thanks to Brock & DePaul Universities and Shift Communications for inspiration in the development of these best practices.
The Office of Public Affairs and Communications is located in McAfee on the Undergraduate Campus.
Associate Vice PresidentTom Krattenmaker
Office of Public Affairs and Communications
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 19
Portland, OR 97219