Questions about social media? Contact Public Relations.
What should you post in social media?
- Announcements— Announce upcoming events, achievements by students, faculty, or alumni, and important dates.
- Photos— Post photos of campus, an event, students, and alumni.
- Trivia— Share a fun fact about the school or an alumnus.
- Question—Ask an open-ended question (e.g., “What’s your favorite place on campus?”).
- Link—Link to an outside news story or press release (e.g., The Oregonian).
- Video—Embed or link to a video.
- Giveaway— Offer a prize if fans take an action or post a comment. NOTE: Please make sure you’re following Facebook’s promotions guidelines!
- Athletics—Give updates on Pioneers’ scores, upcoming games, and athletes.
When and how should you respond to posts made by others in social media?
Before responding to a post or comment in social media, ask yourself:
- Does this comment or post need a response?
- Am I the right person to respond? If not, who would be the right person?
Be sure to respond to posts and comments with these tips in mind:
- Always try to speak in the first person.
- Focus on the subject matter, not the person.
- Be personable and respectful.
- Whenever possible, share a link to an official source to clarify an issue and offer to help in the future.
Thanks to Brock & DePaul Universities and Shift Communications for inspiration in the development of these best practices.