Are you leaving Lewis & Clark while enrolled
in the College’s Student Health Insurance Plan?
1. For students leaving school before actively attending the first 15 days of classes for the semester:
If this category applies to you and you are leaving the college for medical reasons, you can petition the College to keep you on the student health insurance plan for that semester. The petition form and instructions are available here.
Should your petition be approved, you may also be eligible for continuation coverage into the next semester and/or summer.
If this category applies to you and you are leaving for any other, non-medical reason during fall semester 2012, you are not eligible to stay enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. The College will refund any premium you have previously paid for the semester. If this category applies and you are leaving for any other non-medical reason during spring semester 2013, you are not eligible to stay enrolled in the full-semester Student Health Insurance Plan, but you may purchase continuation coverage * (1/1/13-4/1/13) by contacting Patricia Wylie (503-295-6357, firstname.lastname@example.org) at USI Northwest.
2. For students leaving school after attending the first 15 days of classes:
If you leave Lewis & Clark after completing the first 15 days of classes, you will continue to be covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan through the rest of that semester (assuming the semester premium was paid).
If you do not return to the College for the subsequent semester:
- Students leaving in fall 2012 may purchase a 90-day continuation coverage option for the start of the spring semester prior to the deadline of January 7, 2013. This is purchased online from Aetna Student Health.
- Students leaving in the spring may purchase summer coverage, as well as a 90-day continuation plan in the fall. Students must purchase the fall continuation coverage from Aetna Student Health by the deadline of August 21, 2013.
3. For December 2012 Graduates or students taking a leave for the spring semester 2013:
If you finish the fall semester, but do not plan to return for the spring semester, you may extend your fall 2012 coverage for 90 days by purchasing the continuation coverage online directly with Aetna Student Health by the deadline of January 7, 2013. Students who will miss spring semester due to medical issues may petition to be considered for additional coverage. The petition form and instructions are available here.
4. Special considerations related to summer health insurance:
If you are enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan for Spring Semester 2013, but are either graduating or taking the summer off from school, you may purchase summer 2013 coverage directly online with Aetna Student Health. For Undergraduate and Law students, their 2012-2013 coverage will be extended to August 14, 2013. Graduate students’ coverage will be extended to August 31, 2013.
You have 30 days from the end of spring semester to purchase Summer 2013 coverage. If you purchase summer 2013 coverage and won’t be returning in the fall, you can continue your coverage into the fall by purchasing Fall 2013 continuation coverage. Enroll in this 90-day continuation coverage online with Aetna Student Health and pay Aetna directly. Fall continuation coverage must be purchased by the deadline of August 21, 2013.
* NOTE: Premiums for 90-day Continuation Coverage are rated by Aetna Student Health at a higher rate.
Questions? Contact Moira Domann at 503-768-7878.