Hello from Lewis & Clark College! Our friendly and hard-working students make teaching here a pleasure. My entire career has been dedicated to the field of education. It all began in Ohio, my home state, where I studied to become a high school English teacher and taught English to native speakers preparing to enter university. Then I accepted a position in Turkey and I worked there for three years. Later I was employed in China, Kazakhstan, and at several universities in the United States. My experience is very broad, including teaching students in every age group and every skill level: from beginners to very advanced. In 2006, I moved to Oregon and began teaching at Lewis & Clark.
In my free time, I enjoy exercising, puttering in my garden, and sampling Portland’s ethnic restaurants. I also enjoy attending multicultural festivals, including Lewis & Clark’s International Fair held in March. It may come as no surprise that the Travel Channel is one of my favorite television stations. I also participate in professional organizations, such as TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) and OR-TESOL (Oregon’s TESOL group).
- M.A., TESOL, 2000, Monterey Institute of International Studies
- B.S., English and Secondary Education, 1993, Kent State University
- English Language Specialist, U.S. State Department
- Instructor and Coordinator, English preparation program for graduate students in Translation and Interpretation, Monterey Institute of International Studies, California
- Middle School and High School Teacher and Foreign Languages Department Chair, Tarsus, Turkey