To maintain eligibility, students must adhere to the following requirements:
- It is the students’ responsibility to obtain official grade transcripts from all colleges or post-secondary schools that they have previously attended, whether or not VA benefits were received.
- Students must notify the L&C Graduate Registrar’s Office if they change their degree or program objective. An evaluation of prior credit is required whenever a student changes his or her degree/major/program objective.
- All classes that students take must apply directly toward their declared degree or program objective. If a student drops a class or takes a class that does not apply to his or her degree or program objective, the student will be responsible for any overpayment that is due to the VA.
- Students must report to Lewis & Clark College Graduate Registrar’s Office any changes in their enrollment status.
- Students must maintain a minimum 2.00 GPA each term they are certified for VA education benefits, along with the requirements listed below, in order to meet satisfactory academic standing. Please note the following:
a) A CAS student who earns a GPA lower than 2.0 after having earned a GPA lower than 2.0 for three consecutive semesters or after having been on warning or probation for three consecutive semesters will be suspended. Please see the CAS College Catalog policies regarding Academic Standing for more information. Please notify Lewis & Clark College CAS Registrar’s Office if mitigating circumstances are a factor.
b) Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average and have earned no more than two grades below B- or any grade lower than a C- in order to meet the satisfactory academic standing requirements. Please see the Graduate School Catalog policies regarding degree candidacy.
c) Good standing for a Law student at the end of the first academic year is a minimum yearly and cumulative grade point average of 1.80. Students whose cumulative or yearly GPA at the end of the first year is at or above 1.60 but below 1.80 will have one semester to get the GPA to the required minimum. For more information, please see the Law School Student Handbook.
The VA will not pay for self-paced classes, audits, repeats of successfully completed classes, NC or W grades.
- If a grade of NC or W is assigned, an overpayment situation may occur with the VA. If an overpayment occurs, it is the student’s responsibility to make payment arrangements with the VA.
- Incomplete grades must be completed within the timeframe set by the instructor not to exceed one year or an over payment will occur.
- If a student does not wish to be certified for VA education benefits by Lewis & Clark College, he or she must contact the Graduate Registrar’s Office prior to registering for classes.
Certification for VA education benefits is not automatic. We ask that students stop by the Graduate Registrar’s Office each semester they wish to utilize benefits and fill out a Certification Request for Veteran’s Benefits form. This should be done after students register into classes. We strongly recommend that students accomplish this as soon as they have registered in classes in order to expedite the processing of educational benefits.
Veteran students who receive benefits under Chapter 30, 34 and 1606 GI Bill, have to verify their enrollment each month. These students will receive an award letter from the VA Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, OK. Once this is received, the student can self-certify. To ensure prompt payment of benefits, please self-certify every month. The earliest this can be done is the last day of the month. Monthly verification (self-certification) can be done via one of the following two ways:
Telephone - Using Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 1.877.823.2378
Internet - WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/
Failure to self-certify will cause your benefits to stop. You must do this every month or you will not get paid! Federal holidays may delay receipt of the Student Verification of Enrollment and/or your check.
The Office of Graduate Registrar and College Veterans Services is located in room 301 of Rogers Hall on the Graduate Campus.
Graduate Registrar and VA School Certifying OfficialCurt Luttrell
Office of Graduate Registrar and College Veterans Services
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 90
Portland, OR 97219