Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon
Veterans eligible at the 100% level of the U.S. armed forces receiving full Chapter 33 benefits can participate in the Yellow Ribbon program toward a degree through our undergraduate, graduate or law colleges. Housing and other fees still apply, however.
Under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, veterans and other qualified military personnel are eligible to receive a subsidy for tuition that is equivalent to the highest tuition of any public institution in the state. Effective August 1, 2015 there will be a benefits cap of $21,084.89 per academic year for tuition and fees. Yellow Ribbon Program funds will apply to costs exceeding the cap. If the school’s tuition and fees exceed the cap of $21,084.89, the Yellow Ribbon Program will make up part or all of the difference between the cap and the net amount of tuition and fees.
The benefit applies only to those qualified veterans who are accepted to and enroll as full-time undergraduate, graduate or law students. For the 2015-16 academic year, Lewis & Clark will contribute:
- Undergraduates - $5500 ($2750/semester) for an unlimited number of students
- Graduate students enrolled at least half-time in a degree program - $3000 ($1500/semester if enrolled fall-spring; $1000/semester if enrolled year round summer/fall/spring) for a maximum of 5 students
- Law students enrolled full-time day division - $5000/year ($2500/semester)
- Law students enrolled part-time evening division - $1000/year ($500/semester)
- A total of 15 law students will be offered Yellow Ribbon benefits from LC in 2015-16
- Students who enroll in one part-time semester and one full-time semester will receive a total of $3000 for the year ($500 for the part-time semester, and $2500 for the full-time semester).
Students in the Lewis & Clark Law School are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program with the exact amount of eligibility depending on whether the student is registered as a full-time or a part-time student. Students can elect to be either full-time or part-time and may actually change division semester by semester. The tuition for each semester depends on whether the student is part-time or full-time, so the amount of Yellow Ribbon contribution varies depending on which tuition the student is paying. A student who is registered for a full-time semester receives a contribution of $2500, and can receive up to $5000 for two full-time semesters in the 2015-2016 academic year. A student registered for a part-time semester is eligible for a contribution of $500, and can receive up to $1000 for two part-time semesters in 2015-2016. A student who registers for one part-time semester and one full-time semester receives $500 for the part-time semester, and $2500 for the full-time semester for a total of $3000 for the academic year. The difference in contribution is designed to create a situation where each student pays the same net tuition regardless of which division the student is in.
Each fiscal year, the College will review its Yellow Ribbon contribution and will commit to a funding level for the subsequent year with the VA. New institutional Yellow Ribbon funding will be made available on this site when funding amounts are determined.