School navigation

Diversity and Inclusion

Resources for Immigrant Members of the LC Community

Lewis & Clark College cannot give legal advice to any person, so the suggestions on this page are based upon resources described on the page. If you have legal questions please contact an attorney.


Information and resources regarding recent DACA decisions


Nonprofits in Portland that can assist in finding legal counsel

Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services, Program Manager: John Herrera, (503) 231-4866, 2740 SE Powell Blvd., Portland, OR 97202

Immigration Counseling Services: (503) 221-1689, 519 SW Park Ave, Suite 610, Portland, OR 97205

Sponsors Organized to Assist Refugees (SOAR), Managing Attorney: Caroline Van Der Harten, (503) 384-2482 x110,, 7931 NE Halsey St., Suite 302, Portland, OR 97213


Online Resources

My Undocumented Life: Up-to-date information & resources for Undocumented immigrants

Latino Network: Portland-based resources for families and allies

Immigrant Student Group at Lewis & Clark Law School 

Mexican American Legal Defence and Education Fund (MALDEF)

Immigration law and policy after the election: Six key points by Shoba Wadhia

The Immigrant Advocates Network provides a comprehensive list of free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers across the country:

The National Immigration Law Center (NILC): One of the leading organizations dedicated to defending and advocating for the rights of low-income immigrants. Provides useful information for DACA-eligible students.

Portland Refugee and Immigrant Community Directory: A document with information about a variety of local resources for those in our community who are refugees, immigrants, their families, friends, and care providers.


Know Your Rights (information sourced from the ACLU of Oregon)

If you are stopped for questioning- Stay calm; Ask if you are free to leave; You have the right to remain silent; You do not have to consent to search 

If you are stopped in your car- Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible; If an officer or immigration agent asks to look inside your car, you can refuse the consent to the search; Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent.

If you are questioned about your immigration status- You have the right to remain silent and do not have to discuss your immigration or citizenship status; If you are not a U.S. citizen and an immigration agent requests your immigration papers, you must show them in you have them with you; Do not lie about your citizenship status or provide fake documents.

If the police or immigration agents come to your home- You do not have to let them in unless they have certain kinds of warrants; Ask the officer to slip the warrant under the door or hold it up to the window so you can inspect it; You have the right to remain silent.

If you are arrested- Do not resist arrest; Say you wish to remain silent and ask for a lawyer immediately; You have the right to make a phone call; Memorize the phone numbers of family and lawyer; Make emergency plans if you have children or take medication; Ask lawyer about effect of a criminal conviction or plea on your immigration status; Don’t discuss immigration status with anyone but lawyer; While you are in jail, an immigration agent may visit you; Don’t answer questions or sign anything before talking to a lawyer; Read all papers fully; If you don’t understand or cannot read the papers, tell the officer you need an interpreter.

If you are taken into Immigration (or “ICE”) Custody- You have the right to a lawyer, but the government does not have to provide one for you. If you do not have a lawyer, ask for a list of free or low-cost legal services; You have the right to contact your consulate or have an officer inform the consulate of your arrest; Tell the ICE agent you wish to remain silent; Do no sign anything without talking to a lawyer; Remember your immigration number and give it to your family; Keep a copy of your immigration document with someone you trust.

If you feel your rights have been violated- Police misconduct cannot be challenged on the street; Write down everything you remember (badge and patrol car numbers, take photos of injuries, contact information from eyewitnesses); File a written complaint; Contact local ACLU (503) 227-3186, INFO@ACLU-OR.ORG


If you feel unsafe or to report racial harassment or hate crimes:

If you or someone you know is afraid of being attacked or has been attacked call 911 and file a police report. Other non-emergency organizations to contact include:

  •  Portland Police Bureau: 503-823-0000
  • Gresham Police Department: 503-618-2318

  • Multnomah Sheriff’s Office: 503-823-3333


Other Resources

Suicide Hotline: 1(800) 273-8255

GLAAD Trans hotline: (877) 565-8860

GLBT National hotline: 1(888)843-4564

LC OMBUDSPERSON: (503) 768-7336

LC Counseling Service: (503) 768-7160

Mobile Apps:



Circle of 6

ACLU’s mobile justice

Diversity and Inclusion

Contact Us