Google Hangouts Meet
Google Hangouts Meet is a videoconferencing platform included as part of the G Suite for Education core services package. It is a web-based service that enables real-time audio and video communication for individuals and groups. Also included is Hangouts Chat, a chat messaging and group collaboration platform.
While Zoom, a comparatively more robust application, remains our fully supported (and recommended) videoconferencing solution for distance education and large group meetings, Google Hangouts Meet is a lightweight video chat platform that has some distinct advantages. Being a web-based application already included in the Google Suite of online applications, it is a quick and easy solution for setting up video chats between users within our lclark.edu domain and recommended for one-on-one remote advising with students for faculty who do not already use Zoom. Sessions may be added to any Google Calendar invitation by selecting Hangouts Meet from the “add conferencing” dropdown when creating a calendar event.
In response to the current COVID-19 situation, Google has temporarily extended Hangouts Meet features to include the ability to record meetings to Google Drive and meetings for up to 250 per call. As of Thursday, 3/12/2020, We have enabled these features on our domain, though there may be a delay while these features take effect.
To get started, visit meet.google.com. You can also get more information at the Google Hangouts help links below:
- Help Center: Google Hangouts Chat
- Help Center: Google Hangouts Meet
- Start a Video Meeting (Mobile & Desktop)
- Google Hangouts - Setting up a Meeting (video demo)
- Google Hangouts - General Controls (video demo)
- Google Hangouts - Attendee Interface (video demo)
- G Suite Blog: Extending Hangouts Meet premium features to all G Suite customers
- Accessibility in Google Hangouts Meet