Copyright Response Procedures
When Lewis & Clark receives a copyright infringement claim involving music, video, software, games or other digital material, it takes the following steps per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998:
- The Information Security Officer (ISO) is the College’s registered copyright agent. Only requests addressed to the registered agent are acknowledged.
- The ISO validates all infringement claims to correlate timestamp information with the user activity reported.
- If a correlation is determined, the ISO initiates a TrackIT work order for the offender to respond within 48 hours in writing that the offending file has been removed from their system.
- If no response is received within 72 hours, network access is suspended immediately and the claim details will be turned over to the student conduct system.
- If a second infringement claim is received for the same student within the academic year, network access is suspended immediately and the claim details are turned over to the student conduct system.