Return. Reflect. Reconnect.
September 28, 2015
Lewis & Clark Law School celebrates 100 years of excellence in legal education.
Over the course of the 2015–16 academic year, Lewis & Clark Law School will celebrate 100 years of excellence in legal education. From its roots as a small, local law school, Lewis & Clark has grown to national prominence while maintaining a strong and supportive community.
This is, in fact, the second time the law school has turned 100. The first was in 1984, which marked 100 years since Oregon established the state’s first law school. It was in 1915 that the students and staff—declining to relocate from Portland to Eugene—established themselves as a private institution, the Northwestern College of Law. Half a century later, the school merged with Lewis & Clark College and took on its current official name: the Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College.
Centennial activities will recognize the law school’s accomplishments and innovation over the past century as well as anticipate the school’s bright future. The law school’s centennial celebration, the capstone of the law school’s reunion weekend, will be held on October 10.
For more centennial information, visit go.lclark.edu/law100. The law school’s timeline was compiled by Tami Gierloff, associate dean of Boley Law Library and professor of law.