Zoom Arrives at L&C
December 06, 2016
Need to hold a meeting with individuals not on campus? Perhaps conduct an interview with someone on the other coast or in another country? Trying to connect with colleagues at other institutions? Want to bring a guest lecturer to class without incurring travel costs? Then have we got the solution for you! Zoom.
Information Technology is pleased to announce our move to Zoom as our supported video conferencing tool for campus. Zoom replaces Fuze, and can offer a more stable and robust video conferencing experience than Skype or Google Hangouts.
To choose Zoom as our supported campus video conferencing solution, we first looked at the industry leaders in this arena. After speaking with four of the leaders, we narrowed our field to two which we tested. These tests included inviting various individuals on campus to try the two contenders and to provide feedback. Zoom was the clear winner!
Some of the features offered by Zoom include:
- Clear, easy to use interface.
- Support for mobile devices including Android, iOS, and Surface. Windows phones not supported.
- Records MP4 files either locally or in the cloud.
- Maximum participants is 50 per meeting–both video and audio.
- Integration with Google Calendar.
- Integration with Moodle
- Robust training and support options.
To help familiarize the campus with Zoom, we will be hosting a Zoom information session on Monday, December 12th at 3pm in the Watzek Library Classroom, room 245.