Mushroom Hunting Clinic Day Trip
Oregon has an enormous number of mushroom species and it’s no wonder, with all this rain! As long as you’re living in Oregon and since they taste so good, you might as well be introduced to some of them. We will leave first thing in the morning and head to coastal forests where we’ll search for all sorts of fascinating fungi, and return to campus that night. Conditions permitting, we hope to bring back enough edible mushrooms so everyone can try them out.
How to Register
- Friday, October 15th, 2021 for #1
- Friday, October 22nd, 2021 for #2
Trip Fee: $55 / $27*
*If you qualify for any federal financial aid, the trip fee is cut in half thanks to scholarship funding from ASLC. We accept cash, checks, credit/debit cards, and apple/samsung/google pay.
To register for a trip, stop by the College Outdoors office in Templeton 244 or call us at 503-768-7116 once registration is open. Some trips fill up fast! The registration process can be a bit confusing your first time, you can learn more by reading How to Sign Up for a College Outdoors Trip.
Trip TypeDay Trip|Environmental Ed
No experience necessary! We’ll teach you everything you need to know about mushrooms and foraging for them.
Participants should be prepared to spend several hours outdoors walking on uneven terrain. Hiking distance and speed will be low since we’ll be looking for and learning about fungi; less than 3 miles per day.
This trip lends itself well to a wide variety of accessibility accommodations, including mobility accommodations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect
- ☐ Sleeping indoors
- ☐ Sleeping outdoors
- ☐ Electricity
- ☐ Wifi
- ☑ Cell phone service
- ☐ Heating
- ☐ Beds
- ☑ Bathrooms
- ☐ Gender-inclusive bathrooms
- ☐ Showers
- ☐ Wheelchair accessible
- ☑ Food for any Dietary Restrictions
College Outdoors trips have a Pre-Trip Meeting (PTM) prior to the trip to help you prepare, which takes place at the Sequoia warehouse on the Graduate Campus.
At this meeting you’ll meet the trip leaders and other participants, learn more about the trip activity, location, and schedule, and be given a packing list of everything you need for your trip. The trip leaders and Sequoia staff will then help you find and borrow anything on the packing list that you’d like to borrow. We have high-quality outdoor clothing and equipment, and it’s all free to use for your trip!
If you miss a Pre-Trip Meeting, check your email for important info you missed.
Sequoia is the College Outdoors warehouse, located on the Graduate Campus. Everything you’ll need is available for free when you come on a College Outdoors Trip. At Sequoia you will find:
- Clothing needed for your trip, including any relevant outerwear and specialty items needed for the activity. Sizes range from XS - XXL and come in gendered an non-gendered designs.
- Gear needed for your trip, such as sleeping bags, backpacks, water bottles, and much much more.
- Equipment such as tents, cookware, first-aid kits, and boats, which trip leaders will pack for each trip as needed.
- Gender-neutral bathrooms, which can also be used as changing rooms.
- Staff available to answer your questions.