Hike & Kayak Northwest Oregon
Kayak Coast NST
Kayak the bays, estuaries, and lakes of the Northwest Oregon, hike to some of the best Pacific Ocean beaches, and wander through some of the last remaining ancient forests. In the evenings we’ll return to rustic cabins at Nehalem Bay State Park. On this trip you may see otter, elk, beaver, deer, eagles, great blue herons, and sandhill cranes. Whether you’ve never kayaked before or you’re an experienced paddler, this trip takes you to parts of the Pacific Northwest Coast most people never see. Read the detailed trip description to learn more.
(actual itinerary will be adjusted to the weather and group)
- Wednesday: Arrive to campus in the morning, meet your group and collect any outdoor gear you are borrowing from College Outdoors. Eat lunch on campus, then drive about 2 hours to the cabins
- Thursday: Paddle Day One: Safety Talk, 3 hours on the water
- Friday: Paddle Day Two: 2-4 hours on the water depending on group
- Saturday: Hike One: 4 miles
- Sunday: Paddle Day Three: Some paddling, plus playing paddle games and having fun!
- Monday: Hike Two: Tide pooling! 1-2 miles and time on the beach. Also LC night! Learn about Lewis & Clark from current students.
- Tuesday: Return to campus, clean up gear, move into residence halls
Dates: Wednesday, Aug. 23 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $1075. Financial aid is applied for high-need students who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $30 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: Cabins
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Tuesday, June 20th. You will need to log into your Pioneer Portal to complete these forms.
2020 will be the first year of this NST! Here are some pics from other kayaking trips to this area: