Hike & Kayak Northwest Oregon
Kayak Coast NST
Kayak the bays, estuaries, and lakes of the Northwest Oregon and Southwest Washington coast, hike to some of the best Pacific Ocean beaches, and wander through some of the last remaining ancient forests. In the evenings we’ll return to rustic cabins at Ft Stevens State Park. On this trip you’ll see some of the wildlife which greeted the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1805: elk, beaver, deer, eagles, great blue herons, and sandhill cranes. Whether you’ve never kayaked before or you’re an experienced paddler, this trip takes you to parts of the Pacific Northwest Coast most people never see. Read the detailed trip description to learn more (coming soon).
(actual itinerary will be adjusted to the weather and group)
- Wednesday: Arrive to campus in the morning, meet your group and collect any outdoor gear you are borrowing from College Outdoors. Eat lunch on campus, then drive about 2 hours to the cabins
- Thursday: Paddle Day One: Safety Talk, 3 hours on the water
- Friday: Paddle Day Two: 2-4 hours on the water depending on group
- Saturday: Hike One: 4 miles
- Sunday: Paddle Day Three: Some paddling, plus playing paddle games and having fun!
- Monday: Hike Two: Tide pooling! 1-2 miles and time on the beach. Also LC night! Learn about Lewis & Clark from current students.
- Tuesday: Return to campus, clean up gear, move into residence halls
Dates: Wednesday, Aug. 23 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $975. Need-based financial aid is applied on a sliding scale for those who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $30 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: Cabins
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Wednesday, June 29th.
Upload your Vax card to the LC Patient portal by Wednesday, June 29th.
2020 will be the first year of this NST! Here are some pics from other kayaking trips to this area: