Pride OUTside: Explore the Oregon Coast
Join other students who identify as gender non-conforming, transgender, non-binary, genderqueer, intersex, and gender diverse, as well as those who are questioning or looking to explore their gender identity. One of the most rewarding and impactful aspects of any outdoor group trip is the ability to harness the distance from society in order to build your own group norms and culture. On this trip, your leaders will intentionally create an inclusive, welcoming, and comfortable space where you can thrive, grow, and connect with others! Get ready to relax, explore, and have FUN!
Participation in this trip is not anonymous, although we will take steps to make participation discreet. Because we cannot guarantee anonymity for participation, we recommend that, if this is a concern for you, you should consider choosing a different trip. Whether you choose this trip or another New Student Trip, all our trip leaders are trained on topics of gender-diverse inclusion and are eager to welcome you to the L&C community!
This trip is designed for beginners and perfect for any adventurous spirit! You’ll stay in cabins at a state park, where you’ll be immersed in nature alongside other park visitors. The cabins have their own bathrooms/showers, bunk beds, and small kitchen. Your cabin will be your base camp for exploring the nearby coastline and forests. Read the detailed trip description to learn more about the trip and what to expect.
(Actual itinerary will be adjusted to weather and group)
- Day 1: Meet with leaders and other participants, get gear together and drive about 2.5 hours to the cabins at the state park on the Oregon Coast.
- Day 2: Hike 1-2 hours as a group, hang out on the beach, play games and get to know each other in the evening.
- Day 3: Explore the local geology and learn about its formation. Play games, do art, and appreciate being in this beautiful place.
- Day 4: Hike 2-3 hours, learn a bit about plants in the area. LC Night! Learn about Lewis and Clark from current students.
- Day 5: Rest or small hike, reflections as a group, last night celebrations with skits or “open mic”.
- Day 6: Pack up gear and drive back to campus. Help each other move into your residence hall, and eat your last group meal together!
Dates: Thursday, Aug. 24 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $950. Financial aid is applied for high-need students who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $30 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: Cabins
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Tuesday, June 20th. You will need to log into your L&C Portal to complete these forms.
For privacy reasons, pictures from this trip are not posted on our website. Check out pictures from other College Outdoors trips, including to the Coast, HERE.