Backpack Mt. St. Helens
Backpack Mt St Helens
This still-active volcano is famous for blowing it’s top off in an 1980 eruption, resulting in a spectacular landscape to explore today. Waterfalls and bubbling springs are waiting to be discovered on this backpack trip, on trails traversing the mountain, and visiting some of the areas still recovering from the massive 1980 eruption. You’ll see alpine vistas and an island of old growth forest. Each day we’ll hike through this remarkable landscape carrying everything we need on our backs, and sleep in tents at night. This trip will have several sections, so although most of the trip will be with your small group of 10 new students, you’ll also get to meet new students in the other groups. Read the detailed trip description to learn more.
(actual itinerary will be adjusted to the weather and group)
Wednesday: Arrive to campus in the morning, meet your group and collect any outdoor gear you are borrowing from College Outdoors. Eat lunch on campus, then drive about 3hrs to camp. Optional evening lake swim!
- Wednesday: Hike 3-4 hours to campsite 1
- Thursday: Short day hike to waterfalls, collect huckleberries for homemade pancakes
- Friday: Longer day hike, evening game night
- Saturday: Rest day, games, and chill time, LC night: Learn about Lewis & Clark from current students!
- Sunday: Hike to back to trailhead and spend the night with other backpacking groups, talent show
- Monday: Group clean up, short hike, optional lake swim
- Tuesday: Return to campus, clean up gear, move into residence halls.
Dates: Wednesday, Aug. 23 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $950. Financial aid is applied for high-need students who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $35 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: Backpacking
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Tuesday, June 20th. You will need to log into your Pioneer Portal to complete these forms.