Backpack Mt. Hood
This iconic cone volcano offers spectacular backpacking routes through alpine forest with incredible mountain views. You’ll be hiking between lakes on the famous Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Each day we’ll hike through this remarkable landscape carrying everything we need on our backs, and sleep in tents at night. This trip will have several sections, so although most of the trip will be with your small group of 10 new students, you’ll also get to meet new students in the other groups. Read the detailed trip description to learn more.
(actual itinerary will be adjusted to the weather and group)
- Wednesday: Arrive to campus in the morning, meet your group and collect any outdoor gear you are borrowing from College Outdoors. Eat lunch on campus, then drive about 2hrs to Lost Lake campground..
- Thursday: Hike for 3-4 hours on the PCT to campsite 1, at a beautiful alpine lake.
- Friday: Hike for 3-4 hours to campsite 2, at a trailhead a bit further up the mountain.
- Saturday: Hike for 3-5 hours to campsite 3. LC Night! Learn about Lewis & Clark from current students.
- Sunday: Rest day, games, and chill time, possibility for a day hike, stay at campsite 3.
- Monday: Hike back to Lost Lake campground reunite with other backpacking groups and the Hike & Paddleboard Mt. Hood groups for skits and games.
- Tuesday: Return to campus, clean up gear, move into residence halls and have one last meal with your group!
Dates: Wednesday, Aug. 23 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $950. Financial aid is applied for high-need students who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $35 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: Backpacking
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Tuesday, June 20th. You will need to log into your Pioneer Portal to complete these forms.
- This is a new trip for 2023!