Sacred PNW: Spirituality & Community
Sacred PNW NST
Portland is home to a rich diversity of spiritual expressions, as is your new L&C community! Did you know there is no single dominant religion in the Northwest? You’ll spend the week connecting with other new students as you get to know Portland’s sacred spaces through immersion in urban forests, trips to local spiritual communities, collective conversations, and meditative practice. You’ll stay on campus during this “trip,” and learn about spiritual life, practice, and community at L&C. Read the detailed trip description to learn more.
(actual itinerary is not yet defined)
- Thursday - Welcome: Arrive to campus in the morning, move into your residence hall and settle in, and meet your group for lunch on campus. The afternoon includes get-to-know you activities, intention setting, exploring LC, meditative moments around campus and a sunset walk.
- Friday - Spiritual Diversity in the PNW: Optional morning yoga, faculty presentation, exploring the land and indigenous presence, reflections, connection with local ecosystems, option evening Jumah and candlelit nidra.
- Saturday - Explore Portland: Join another on-campus NST groups for a trip into Portland, visit the Farmers Market, eat at food trucks, discuss spiritual history of Portland, walk along the waterfront, and visit gardens. Optional Shabbat gathering. Movie night.
- Sunday - Service Day: Optional morning yoga, visit to Eloheh Indigenous Center for Earth Justice for service project, reflective discussion, optional Christian prayer, vespers gathering, sharing circle, candlelit yin.
- Monday - Connect with L&C: Optional sunrise forest bathing, panel with LC students, professors and staff about spiritual life at LC, finding meaning, and community care. Workshop and goal setting, optional evening stroll, tea ceremony.
- Tuesday - Reflections & Transition: Optional morning yoga followed by a trip to the Columbia River Gorge for waterfall visits, mountain/water meditation, and games. Dinner outside in Portland with live music, evening campfire on campus with gratitudes, songs, smores, stargazing
Dates: Thursday, Aug. 24 - Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023
Cost: $850. Need-based financial aid is applied on a sliding scale for those who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $30 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Trip Type: On-Campus
Equipment & Packing List: (coming soon)
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Wednesday, June 29th.
Upload your Vax card to the LC Patient portal by Wednesday, June 29th.
This is a new trip for 2023!