Gifts Management Coordinator
Gifts Management Coordinator
Primary Job Functions
The Gifts Management Coordinator at Lewis & Clark College is responsible for recording and legally receipting charitable contributions to the College, in accordance with donor intent, College policies, and adhering to the IRS rules and regulations governing contributions and the Council for Advancement and Support for Education (CASE) gift management guidelines. The Gifts Management Coordinator is in-charge of the entire gift management cycle – ensuring gifts are processed in a timely manner once received by Advancement Services, properly reviewed and documented so as to identify appropriate donor intent and compliance with the College’s Gift Acceptance Policy, recorded and receipted. The Gifts Management Coordinator is also responsible for pledge entry and management, and the generation of gift reports.
• Records gifts and pledges and their designation to the proper accounts within one business day from the time they are received in Advancement Services.
• Prepares daily reconciliation of checks, cash, and charges and runs transmittal reports for Business and Cashier Offices.
• Prepares acknowledgment data and coordinates distribution with appropriate schools, departments or units.
• Generates tax receipt letters and ensures that they are mailed within expected turn-around-time, and in accordance with donor intent, Lewis & Clark College policies and adherence to the IRS rules and regulations governing contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations, as well as the CASE guidelines for gift management.
• Coordinates with the College’s custodian in ensuring that gifts of securities are credited to the College’s account in a timely manner and recorded in the donor’s record.
• Coordinates with external credit card processing vendors (such as CollegeNet, IATS, or Blackbaud Merchant Services) in reconciling credit card gift transactions, updates and adjustments.
• Runs periodic reports on gift activity, weekly and monthly gift and grant reports, and campaign reports.
• Transmits entered gift batches to the College’s Colleague financial system.
• Prepares monthly reconciliation of gift income with the Business Office.
• Processes Phonathon returns including pledges and gifts. Works with the Director of Annual Giving and Phonathon Specialist in the proper collection of data entry required to record Phonathon pledges.
• Manages the creation of new fund designations within Raiser’s Edge by working with the Development Staff and other relevant departments in meeting proper documentation and requirements, and working with the Business Office to establish the corresponding general ledger account. Accuracy and knowledge of the College’s business operations is of utmost importance in this job function, as this impacts the College’s financial reporting.
• Manages the creation of all new scholarship and other endowed funds as well as expendable funds (usually related to grants) within Raiser’s Edge and ensures that required documentation and key information about the scholarship or the grant are properly communicated with the Director of Donor Relations, Director of Student Financial Services, Accounting Manager, Endowment Manager, and other relevant fund managers and departments.
• Provides required gift documentation to auditors during the annual financial audit.
• Communicates with the Director of Advancement Services to ensure accurate processing of gifts and to ensure financial integrity and accuracy.
• Works with the Director of Advancement Services and the Director of Annual Giving to manage a proactive approach to matching gifts.
• Works with Annual Giving and PubComm in formatting gift mailing return devices to ensure completeness and accuracy.
• Keeps well informed and updated on IRS regulations and CASE guidelines relevant to gift management and receipting, and communicates best practices and legal requirements to staff as necessary.
• Adds and updates biographical data received as part of gifts sent to the College.
• Adjusts gifts and pledges as directed by the Director of Advancement Services.
• Coordinates monthly employee payroll deductions with the Payroll Manager. Reconciles any necessary adjustments with payroll. Contact person for payroll gift deduction inquiries, and ensures that complete and signed requests for all deduction changes, additions or cancellations are submitted to payroll within allowed timeframe.
• Tracks outstanding pledges and produces pledge reminders.
• Saves all necessary backup gifts and fund documentation using the department’s document imaging solution, PaperSave, in accordance with the College’s document retention policy.
• Serves as the resource person for gifts management related inquiries.