Receipts are required for all expenses over the amount of $10.00. Receipts should be attached to the Travel & Entertainment Expense Report, and arranged in the order that they are listed on that report. Where expenses are shared with external organizations, a duplicate copy of the receipts will suffice when submitted with either a copy of the Expense Report submitted to the other organization or a common Expense Report showing all expenses charged to both Lewis & Clark and the other organization.
In all other cases, original, itemized receipts must be submitted for reimbursement:
- Original itemized receipts showing what was purchased and that payment was made must be attached to the Travel & Entertainment Expense Report form. If the receipt does not show that the amount was paid in full, proof of payment must also be attached. (such as a credit card slip or statement) Please note that proof of payment alone is not sufficient. There must be an itemized list of items purchased.
- There must be a complete description of why the expenditure was a business expense. The description of the business purpose should clearly spell out the benefit to Lewis & Clark College resulting from your travel and/or entertainment.
- “Travel to Seattle" is not a business purpose; "travel to Seattle for admissions recruiting" is a business purpose.
- "Lunch" is a sufficient description if it is for yourself while traveling. If it is not a travel expense for yourself, you must report the purpose of the lunch and who attended.
If it is not possible to obtain a duplicate receipt from the billing agency, the employee must submit a signed memorandum, approved by the supervisor, and stating:
- The amount of the expense. The description of the expense should be detailed as to the items purchased.
- The business purpose of the expense. The description of the business purpose should clearly spell out the benefit to Lewis & Clark College resulting from your travel and/or entertainment.
- That payment was made in full.
- That no receipt or cancelled check is available.
- That no other reimbursement of expense has been, or will be, sought or accepted from any source.
Only expenditures under $25 will be reimbursed without the appropriate receipt. If a receipt for an amount less than or equal to $25 is misplaced, a memo as described above will be acceptable. If the amount of the expenditure is more than $25, only $25 of the expenditure amount will be reimbursed.