Prospective and Admitted Student Info
- Transition of Care Guide (a pre-college checklist from the JED Foundation)
- Parents’ Guide to Student Health (via TransitionYear.org)
- Student Health Insurance (Lewis & Clark options and policies)
- Understanding Your Insurance Plan (defining common terms)
- How to Read an Insurance Plan (steps, terms, and videos)
Our Counseling Service provides short-term therapy for undergraduate, graduate, and law students in individual, couple, or group settings. Students visiting the Counseling Service come in for five sessions on average. Many students, however, are able to get the help and resources they need in a single meeting with a counselor. For more regular treatment of mental health issues, students should explore off-campus resources. The Office of Case Management or your on-campus counselor can refer you to mental health professionals in the Portland area who are best suited to meet your needs.
If you are dealing with an ongoing physical or mental health issue prior to enrolling at Lewis & Clark, we strongly recommend that you research and find off-campus health resources before your first semester to avoid any lapse in treatment. If you need help finding these resources, the Office of Case Management can assess your needs and provide referrals. We encourage students to contact our office the spring semester prior to their arrival at Lewis & Clark because our office is closed during the summer months and can be very busy during the first few weeks of the fall semester.
In addition to your insurance’s list of in-network providers, you can also research database of physical and mental health professionals to find a specialist who fits your needs:
- Psychology Today (national database of counselors, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals)
- Portland Therapy Center (online directory of Portland-area mental health professionals)
- Oregon Psychological Association (database of OPA-member psychologists)
- Network Therapy (mental health directory and resource guide)
- Good Therapy (national therapy database)
- Portland Area Hospitals (for in-patient, out-patient, or emergency care)
The Portland area has a variety of different public transit options to help you get to your off-campus appointments:
- Pioneer Shuttle (free for all Lewis & Clark students)
- Trimet (Portland’s public transit system)
- Ridesharing (e.g. Zipcar, Lyft, Uber)
- Other Options and Discounts for Students (LC monthly transit passes, carpools, etc.)
If you have any other questions about the Office of Case Management and the resources we provide, please feel free to call us during normal business hours M-F at (503) 768-7173.