Commercial Filming, Photographing, and Video Taping Guidelines
We generally do not allow Lewis & Clark properties, buildings and grounds, trademarks and logos to be used by outside individuals or companies in filming, photographing, advertising and video taping activities for commercial purposes. Exceptions are made on rare occasions when we determine that the proposed project furthers Lewis & Clark’s educational mission or strengthens our ties to the community and will not disrupt activities on campus or in the surrounding neighborhood.
Requests for news reporting should be directed to the Office of Communications.
For other types of filming on campus, please visit our Student Filming Projects and Portait Sessions and Wedding Photography pages.
Lewis & Clark offers a diverse selection of photo shoot and film locations.
Looking to Scout Locations?
Start by filling out our Lewis & Clark Scouting Request Form so we can make more efficient use of your scouting time.
All commercial filming, photographing, and video taping done on Lewis & Clark lands must be coordinated through the Office of Conferences and Events. These requirements do not apply to legitimate news or athletic related films and photos taken by photographers working in cooperation with the Office of Communications or the Athletic Department.
- Lewis & Clark retains the benefit and control of its marks, including (i) Lewis & Clark’s name, (ii) the Shield emblem, (iii) the Lewis & Clark Seal, (iv) the terms “Pio,” (v) all Lewis & Clark school, department, institute, center and other organization names and logos, and (vi) various campus buildings and landmarks. Any external use of that image is made only with the express approval and written permission by the Office of Communications and only under circumstances benefiting the institution, its students and personnel, or its educational mission.
- Scripts and Shot Lists: All scripts and photo shots are subject to approval from the Office of Communications prior to any filming, photography, or video taping. Those given permission to film, photograph, or video tape must abide by any negotiated agreements concerning identification of Lewis & Clark in their final products. Lewis & Clark’s name, in most instances, will not be used in the script or in publicity about a commercial project.
- Advertising: Commercials that feature identifiable Lewis & Clark properties are expressly forbidden without approval. Precaution must be taken to ensure Lewis & Clark does not appear to sponsor or endorse commercial ventures through any commercial filming or photographing activities.
Requirements of Consent
When commercial photographs or films are to be taken on campus, a written contract, permits, required fees, and insurance coverage must be obtained prior to any filming, photography, or video taping activity.
Lewis & Clark prefers to negotiate contracts with a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice and reserves the right to deny contract negotiations if the timeliness factor is not observed.
While Lewis & Clark encourages filming ventures when they benefit the institution’s programs and public image, we must ensure that normal routines are not unduly interrupted. Coordination must be maintained between Lewis & Clark groups and the production crew to ensure interruptions to Lewis & Clark’s schedule are minimized.
The Office of Conferences and Events assists film companies, photographers, and other media representatives with film and photography requests on Lewis & Clark property. Once permission to film or photograph has been granted by the Office of Communications, the Office of Conferences and Events is responsible for implementing the following:
- Preparing the contract
- Collecting the certificate of insurance (COI) and fees
- Obtaining approval for the use of applicable campus facilities
- Determining whether an on-site campus film location manager is required and, if needed, making provisions for the deployment of such a manager
- Providing coordination with other campus entities and services
- Issuing the required film or photo permit
Filming and photography fees are determined on a project-by-project basis. Note that we will also charge for any services requested or required in connection with on-campus filming or photography activities, such as security/police, grounds restoration, traffic control, and parking.
More on Filming, Video, Photo Fees
Contact the Office of Conferences and Events for fee information when scouting is not required: firstname.lastname@example.org.