Federal Direct PLUS Loan: How to Apply
Your student must complete the FAFSA at before you apply for a Parent PLUS Loan. After completing the FAFSA you can apply for a Parent PLUS Loan. Log in using your parent FSA ID. Your parent FSA ID is also used to electronically sign your student’s FAFSA.
- Choose the link, “Apply for a PLUS Loan” to complete the PLUS Loan Application. A credit check will occur, and will be valid for 180 days.
- Next, choose the link, “Complete a Loan Agreement for a PLUS Loan (MPN).” You must use your full legal first and last name when completing the MPN, or the Department of Education will be unable to link it to the loan record sent by the school.
- The maximum PLUS Loan amount is the student’s Cost of Attendance minus any other financial aid she/he is eligible to receive. If you apply for an amount exceeding this maximum, we will reduce your loan at the time of origination.
- Federal PLUS Loan funds will be evenly divided over the student’s academic year, unless the loan period given on your application indicates differently.
- The PLUS Loan origination fee is 4.248% for loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2018 and before September 30, 2019. Since this fee is deducted before loan funds are disbursed, the net amount released will be less than the actual gross loan amount borrowed.
- The fixed interest rate is 7.08% for loans first disbursed between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020.
NOTE: Avoid disbursement delays! Make sure your child has added your name to his/her record with the Lewis & Clark Registrar’s Office. This facilitates the disbursement of funds to the student account.