Permission to Work

Students in the U.S. on F-1 student visas are required to have adequate funding for their education. Occasionally, however, students’ situations change after arriving in the U.S. and they have to seek alternative means of support. Under certain circumstances, the Department of Homeland Secutiry (DHS) will permit students to apply for permission to work due to economic hardship.

To qualify, two rules apply:

  1. Students must have been in the U.S. in F-1 status for one academic year.
  2. There must have been an unforeseen change in the students’ economic situation.


For more information on the application process:

Applying for Economic Necessity

Budget Sample