Additional information is available in the orientation packet.
Arrival Day (Various)
9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
International Students and Scholars (ISS) will coordinate shuttles to pick up students from the airport and bring them to campus.
Students report to International Students and Scholars (ISS) to pick up packets, room keys, access cards, and linen (if needed).
Students settle into their rooms. The following student volunteers will be on hand to help new students move into their rooms: Jeremiah Koshy, Malaysia; Natalia Thorup, USA/Kenya; Tobias Varntoft, Denmark; Yash Bisht, India/Singapore; Davit Sargsyan, Armenia; Brenna Ketchum, USA/India/Cambodia; and Francisco Perozo, Venezuela. ISS staff members Bridget Flaherty and Paola Dennis will also assist.
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
9:00 a.m. — 9:45 a.m.
Opening Program. Zoom.
Welcome and introductions.
- President Wim Wiewel welcomes students.
- Introduction of staff and guests. Brian White, Associate Dean of Students
- Introduction of Bridget Flaherty, Associate Director of ISS and Paola Dennis, ISS Administrative Specialist
- Introduction of Dominique Gardner, Interim Director of Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement (IME)
- Introductions of Laura Shier, Director of Academic English Studies
- Introduction of Robin Holmes-Sullivan, Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students
- Video from Robin Holmes-Sullivan, Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students
- Introduction of Jeremiah Koshy, ASLC Vice President
- Introduction of Tobias Varntoft, ISLC President and Brenna Ketchum, TCK/ISS Intern
- Introduction of Melissa Osmond, Associate Director for Health Promotion & Wellness
10:15 a.m. — 10:45 a.m.
Getting Connected. Tobias Varntoft, Natalia Thorup, and Jeremiah Koshy.
For international students & TCKs connections are key, whether you are settling into your dorm or getting used to studying remotely. Our two student speakers will share what has worked best for them. Zoom.
10:45 a.m. — 11:15 a.m.
Staying Safe and Healthy in Portland. Brenna Ketchum, Yash Bisht, and Davit Sargsyan.
Most of Portland is a beautiful, fun city to explore, but like in any city, you need to think ahead about where you will visit and try to avoid places and activities that might put you into harm’s way. Our two student speakers will explain some dependable “do’s and dont’s” to stay safe while you’re here. Zoom.
11:30 a.m. — 12:00 p.m. Concurrent Sessions
11:30 a.m. — 12:00 p.m.
Davis Scholarship Information Session. New Davis Scholars should attend this session to learn the details of the Davis Scholarship at Lewis & Clark. Attendance is required for new Davis Scholars. Bridget Flaherty, Brian White, and Anastacia Dillon will present. Zoom.
11:30 a.m. — 12:00 p.m.
TCK meeting (for US TCKs). Meet Brenna Ketchum, TCK Intern, and learn about the TCK group. Student Assistant: Natalia Thorup. Zoom.
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
9:0 a.m. — 9:45 a.m.
The International Student/TCK and Academic Success. Panel discussion with Lewis & Clark professors and students. Speakers: (in order) Francisco Perozo/Sophomore and Yash Bisht/Senior, followed by Professor Anne Bentley of Chemistry and Professor Kabir Heimsath of Anthropology and Asian Studies. Zoom.
10:00 a.m. — 10:30 a.m.
Webadvisor Session. Learn more about using WebAdvisor as a student from the Registrar’s Office and Student Account Services. Cheri Blatner and Hayley Bentley will present. Zoom.
10:45 a.m. — 11:30 a.m.
SEVIS/Immigration Requirements and Review of the General NSO Schedule: What you must know! Bridget Flaherty. Zoom. Topics for this session include:
- SEVIS requirements
- Immigration obligations. (See handout)
- Review of General NSO Schedule
12:00 p.m. — 12:45 p.m.
(REQUIRED ONLY FOR STUDENTS WHO PLAN TO WORK ON CAMPUS) What you need to know for on-campus employment. Bridget Flaherty, Associate Director of ISS, Kris Codron, Associate Director of Human Resources, and Paola Dennis, Admin Specialist of ISS. Student volunteer Natalia Thorup will assist. Zoom. Topics to be discussed include:
- Applying for an on-campus job.
- Applying for a Social Security Number.