School navigation


On Palatine Hill

  • We’ve reached a turning point, a time of natural transition from a semester as far from routine as most of us could imagine…
  • My weekly letters have sought to keep you—our students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, donors, and friends—informed about the ways we are responding to the impact of COVID-19 on our community…
  • In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”


  • Are there any known cases of COVID-19 at Lewis & Clark?

    Updated March 27, 2020

    Today the college was informed that a law student tested positive for COVID-19. The student has not been on campus since March 10, when they began self-isolating after first feeling unwell.

    This is the first confirmed case among the Lewis & Clark community. Per state and federal recommendations, the individual (whose confidentiality is protected by privacy laws) is in mandatory isolation and resting at home.

    Since the student has been in self-isolation for 17 days, we believe that the risk to the community is low. We emphasize the importance of following the social-distancing mandates issued by Governor Brown and ask members of our community to be diligent in doing their part to flatten the curve and slow the rate of infection.

    Our utmost priority is the safety and well-being of our community. For more information about our response to COVID-19, please visit our FAQ.

  • How is Lewis & Clark monitoring the novel coronavirus?

    We have been monitoring the novel coronavirus since it was first reported and are continuing to develop plans to keep the community-domestically and overseas–as safe as possible. We are following public health best practices guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Oregon Health Authority. We also encourage students, faculty, and staff to routinely check the resource links in this message and the Health Promotion and Wellness blog. We will provide updated guidance as it is developed.

  • What sort of a risk is posed by COVID-19?

    Most individuals, especially young people, who experience COVID-19 have mild symptoms. Individuals who are immuno-compromised, who have underlying health conditions, or who are older are at greater risk to experience more significant complications of their condition.

  • How can I help prevent the spread of coronavirus?

    Use the same precautions you typically employ to avoid getting sick or making others sick:

    • Wash hands thoroughly and often by washing with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. Alternatively, use hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol immediately after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
    • Avoid touching your face, specifically your eyes, nose, and mouth.
    • Avoid contact with people who are ill.
    • If you feel sick, stay home and avoid close contact with others. Monitor your symptoms closely by taking your temperature at least once daily. Complimentary thermometers are available at the Health Center and Campus Safety office.
    • Avoid travelling to areas where an outbreak has occurred.
    • Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, and dispose of the contaminated tissue.
  • How is COVID-19 transmitted?

    While much is still unknown about this strain of coronavirus, current data suggest it spreads like other respiratory viruses via droplets expelled by infected individuals coughing or sneezing, either via person-to-person contact or contact with a contaminated surface (doorknob, table, etc.)

  • What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

    Symptoms of COVID-19 mirror symptoms common to other respiratory infections, such as fever, coughing, and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.

  • How is food service on campus being affected?
    Added March 17, 2020
    In accordance with updated Oregon regulations, CDC recommendations, and current campus populations, the following changes to Bon Appetit services on campus will take effect beginning March 17:
    • Dovecote Cafe will close for the remainder of the semester after service ends at 2:30 p.m.
    • Maggie’s will close for the remainder of the semester after service ends at midnight.
    • Food for Thought at South Campus will be closed for the remainder of the semester.
    • Law School Cafe will be closed for the remainder of the semester.
    • Fields Dining Room will remain open with reduced offerings, reduced hours. We will announce those new hours as soon as possible.
    • Trail Room will remain open through the week, with service level and closure date yet to be determined.
    Fields will be operating for meal service through spring break. Hours are still being determined and will be communicated as soon as possible.
    All dining locations will be operating for takeout only, no seating will be available. We ask all guests to take their food and beverage orders out of public dining areas.
    We thank you for your understanding and patience as we work as quickly as possible with school administration to meet campus needs as we move into spring break and beyond into the rest of the semester.
  • What should I do if I have to be absent from school or work?

    The health of our students and our community is of the foremost importance. Students who must miss class due to illness should email their professors. Students who miss more than three days of class can contact Student Support Services (SSS) to request a Faculty Notification be sent to their instructors and advisor(s) notifying them of their current situation. Students may contact SSS by emailing or calling 503-768-7192. Faculty and staff who must miss work due to personal or family health concerns should email their supervisor. As always the Human Resources office is a resource for employees with questions about benefits or leave.

  • I think I might have symptoms related to COVID-19. What should I do?

    Updated April 13, 2020

    If you have any concern about your immediate safety, call 911.

    There are two online tools available to help students sort out healthcare decisions in response to possible symptoms. Portland area students concerned about COVID-19 symptoms can go to and the website will walk you through steps to take based on your symptoms. For students outside Portland, the CDC has a “self-checker” available at its webpage.

    Students are also welcome to call the Health Service during business hours, or to call the Nurse Consultation line (1-800-607-5501) after hours.

  • Can I use sick time to care for my child, because my child’s school or care provider is closed?

    Yes. While a child’s school or care provider is closed due to COVID-19, employees may use accrued sick and vacation leave in order to care for the child if telecommuting or other options are not viable. Please work with you supervisor and HR on your particular situation.

  • What guidance should I follow if I have work-related travel scheduled?

    Updated March 14, 2020

    College-sponsored travel by students, faculty or staff for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester is not permitted unless an exception is granted by the relevant Vice President or Dean. Exceptions will be granted only when travel is essential to the College.


    For purpose of this policy, “College-sponsored travel” is any travel supported by College resources, whether financial or otherwise, that involves (i) air travel, or (ii) non-air travel to conferences, seminars, meetings or other events expected to have greater than 50 persons present.

    Unapproved travel will not be eligible for expense reimbursement by the College.

  • What Mental Health Support is Available to Students?

    Updated April 13, 2020

    Counseling Service staff are offering telemental health (i.e., counseling) services via secure video platform to students physically located in Oregon. Staff are limited by the laws of some states in their ability to practice telemental health across state lines. As a result, some Counseling Service staff are able to provide services to students located in some states, while staff are prohibited from engaging in such telemental health practice with students living in other states. Staff in both the Counseling Service and the Office of Case Management are offering all students outside of Oregon with support in finding mental health support nearer to their homes.

    Students needing mental health support– regardless of their physical location– are encouraged to contact the Counseling Service at 503-768-7160 or the Office of Case Management (503-768-7173) to discuss support options. Mental health educational resources and meditation support are also available through the Support in the Time of COVID-19 webpage. Any time the Counseling Service is closed, students can access our Crisis Counseling Service at 503-265-7804.

  • I’m a Lewis and Clark employee who needs to come to campus to do my job. Do I need documentation to prove that I’m allowed to be going to work?

    No. The Governor’s Executive Orders do not require any type of special paperwork from your employer in order to travel to or from work. The Governor has not ordered that colleges close in the way that certain retail and recreational establishments have been ordered to close. In fact, the Governor’s Executive Orders recognize the importance of keeping colleges and universities open for online learning and for students who need to remain on campus. The Oregon State Police has issued guidance that confirms that special paperwork is not necessary if you need to come to campus to work. However, employees need to work with their supervisor to determine whether physical presence on campus is necessary.

  • How can I help?

    As part of our efforts, we are launching a Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Response Fund. This fund provides support for current students, and helps with the Lewis & Clark’s unexpected costs in thes unprecedented circumstances. One of our amazing trustees has already seeded this fund with generous support. Gifts of all sizes are welcome and create the positive impact that is crucial in this challenging time. Donations can be made online here.

  • When is Watzek library open?

    Updated March 19, 2020

    Access to the library building is now restricted to Lewis & Clark students, faculty and staff.
    The library will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, March 19 and Friday, March 20.
    Watzek Library is moving to online-only services as of 5 p.m., Friday, March 20. After that time physical access to the building will be suspended until further notice. The Information Technology Service Desk will be available by email ( or by calling 503-768-7225. Students who remain on campus and need to use computers may continue to access the machines in the Dubach PC and Mac labs via 24-hour card swipe. We will share information regarding post-Spring Break library access once that decision is made.
  • What should I do if I have international travel plans?

    International travel is discouraged. We are aware that many employees and students travel over spring break, and may already be planning summer travel. The CDC is currently monitoring COVID-19 and provides international travel advisories. We also recommend visiting the U.S. Department of State’s website for travel warnings and restrictions. There are three levels of CDC advisories:

    • Watch Level 1: Travelers should practice usual precautions, but the CDC does not recommend canceling or postponing travel.
    • Alert Level 2: Travelers who are older adults and those with chronic medical conditions should consider postponing nonessential travel.
    • Warning Level 3: Travelers should avoid all nonessential travel. As of March 12, 2020, China, South Korea, Iran, and most of Europe are the countries and regions to which this advisory applies, but this is subject to change.

    Additionally, we advise all community members to refrain from traveling to or through any country with a Level 3 advisory. Even transiting through such a country could result in unwelcome travel restrictions.

  • How can I view the webinar, “College in the time of COVID?”

    Added April 23, 2020

    Staff from the Counseling Service, Case Management Office, College Advising Center, and Student Support Services collaborated to record a webinar titled, “College in the Time of Covid: How to Regain Focus on Your Academic and Emotional Health.” (A transcript is also available.)

    Staff worked to incorporate into this program all of the information and encouragement you might need to support your emotional health and to finish the semester strong academically.

  • What if I need medical consultation after-hours?

    Anytime the Health Service is closed, students who want to consult with a medical professional about their symptoms should contact our Nurse Consultation Service at 1-800-607-5501.

  • I have had a recent loss of income. What social support services might I access to make it through this stressful time?

    Most states have a central resource for accessing social support services. To determine if the state you are in has this database, go to If you are in Oregon that resource can be found at

    Many financial institutions are offering different options to manage the unforeseen loss of income. You can reach out to your different financial institutions to see what might be available during this time. If you would like to talk to a financial or housing counselor about your situation, click here for the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) website or call 833-746-7577. NFCC is a network of nonprofit consumer credit counseling agencies that provide services online and over the phone.

    Finally, the Office of Case Management webpage includes links to social service resources, including the Oregon Food Bank.

  • What SARA (Sexual Assault Response Advocate) or other advocacy services are available to students?

    Any member of the Lewis & Clark community can speak with a SARA for support. Whether you are a survivor of sexual or interpersonal violence, a friend of a survivor, a concerned student, or a faculty or staff member, we are here for you. All interactions with SARAs are confidential.

    If you are at home in a different state or country, a SARA can help connect you with local resources so that your needs are met. The SARA page on L&C’s website has been updated to reflect the current availability of advocates. Check the webpage to meet each of our advocates and find their contact information. Feel free to reach out to an advocate individually, or contact Melissa Osmond in the Office of Health Promotion at, or 971-319-2992.

    Additional resources:

    RAINN: National Sexual Assualt Hotline 800-656-HOPE (4673)

    Crisis Text Line : text HOME to 741-741 anywhere in the U.S.

    Sexual Assault Resource Center (503) 640-5311

    Call to Safety 1-888-235-5333

    The Trevor Project (for LGBTQ+ youth (up to age 24) in crisis): 1-866-488-7386

  • Will I still be able to get the balance of my work-study financial aid award?

    All federal work-study students, Lewis & Clark work-study students, and graduate assistants will be paid for the remainder of their spring-semester shifts, whether they actually work them or not.

    Supervisors should work with their students to create an accounting of hours that would have been worked and then share that information with Human Resources. Work-study students should reach out to their supervisors if they haven’t already discussed the matter with them. Other student employees who are not working will not be paid.

  • Is the Office of Spiritual Life still operating? How can I still connect to what’s going on?

    In this time of the COVID-19 pandemic- as during any crisis big or small- the staff members of the spiritual life office are available for student support and consultation. Dean of Spiritual Life Mark Duntley is the only spiritual life staff member who is full-time, so he is often the one who responds to urgent needs. Mark’s office phone number is 503-768-7085, and his email is

    Spiritual life staff are very willing to meet online with students for conversation and spiritual consultation. Some of our staff may be available for in-person meetings as well when proper health-safety measures can be assured. The general contact email is

    Most in-person small groups, services, and gatherings are currently cancelled until further notice. That being said, here is what we can currently report about the “remote” offerings we have in the works now:

    1. Meditation is a weekly offering of our spiritual life office. The current plan is to continue these Thursday afternoon meditation sessions, although they will probably move to a remote platform and will not take place in the meditation room for the foreseeable future. It’s possible that additional meditation sessions may be added or that the schedule will be modified. Students can contact Jeanne Lilly ( to inquire or to ask to join an online meditation session.
    2. The On Being discussion group has been meeting every other Wednesday over dinner to discuss “the big questions of life.” Hilary Martin Himan ( is coordinating these discussion opportunities, and is in the process of exploring how to do this using a remote/online platform. Students interested in participating and talking about these big questions in light of the pandemic can contact Hilary.
    3. The LC Hillel (Jewish) group plans to provide a variety of student-produced videos on their social media platforms along with some virtual programming, There will be a calendar of “events” coming soon, and students can connect to Hillel through the contact information below or the website:
    4. A few of the other spiritual life groups may be continuing to “meet” via online platforms in the coming weeks. Students are always welcome to these groups and as scheduling develops we will let you know.
    5. Later in the semester our office is once again committed to assisting Muslim students during Ramadan with the logistics of getting morning and evening meals during fasting, and with scheduling accommodations during their final exams while they are fasting.

    Below is a list of the names and emails of our spiritual life staff members, along with the focus of their work.

    Mark Duntley (dean): -direct dial office phone is 503-768-7082

    Jeanne Lilly (contemplative life and meditation):

    Hilary Martin Himan (spiritual que(e)ry, muslim student association, On Being discussions):

    Anne LeChevallier (Catholic students):

    Leah Chasin and Hannah Sherman (Hillel): and

    John Werst (Pioneer Christian Fellowship):

    David Kremmel (InterVarsity Christian Fellowship)

  • What if I need medical consultation or support? Is the Health Service open?

    Updated April 13, 2020

    The Health Service–located in the Templeton Student Center on the undergraduate campus– will remain open from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 4 p.m. through May 7th. Some information students should know about accessing services:

    • It is CRITICAL that ALL students CALL into the Health Service (503-768-7165) BEFORE they come into the Health Service, so that we can triage them effectively and use our resources wisely.
    • We are primarily using telehealth appointments, in order to avoid potential disease exposure for patients and staff. If, following the telehealth consultation, an in-office appointment is deemed necessary, the provider will schedule that time with the patient.
    • We do have the capacity to test for COVID-19 currently. However, we are following Oregon Health Authority advice on whom to test, and the criteria for testing is currently quite restrictive.
    • Consistent with medical practice in the community, we have reduced or eliminated some of our “routine” health care services (e.g. reproductive health care exams and physicals), in order to decrease the number of patients circulating through our clinic, and decrease any possible exposure to COVID-19.

    Students should check out the Health Service website for all of our latest updates, including hours and services.

  • Are College Outdoors trips cancelled?

    Yes, unfortunately all trips for the remainder of the academic year have been cancelled.

  • Will mail services and the print center be open?

    Starting Monday, March 23, Mail Services will be open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. There will be limited delivery/pick-up across campus daily. Faculty and staff should contact Stephanie Takashima ( to discuss departmental needs regarding deliveries and interoffice pick-up. The office may also close for short periods of time when making deliveries.

    The Print Center will be closed until further notice. Please contact Stephanie if you have any critical print center needs.

  • Law Students: What is Boley Library’s schedule?

    Boley Law Library is moving to online-only services as of 8 p.m., Friday, March 20. The library and Wood Hall study rooms, classrooms and LRC will not be available to students at least through spring break. We will share information regarding post-Spring Break access once that decision is made.

  • Students: What about note-taking accommodations?
    • CAS & Grad: Students who have been receiving notes as an accommodation will continue to receive notes for online lectures. Please contact Ashley Lookenhouse, SSS Notetaker Coordinator at if you have questions.

    • Law : Notetakers will take notes during remote class sessions and notes will be delivered to accommodated students per the usual process.

    If you have questions regarding how your accommodations will be facilitated in your new online learning environment contact Student Support Services by calling 503-768-7192 or emailing You may also schedule an appointment online.

  • How is student health insurance accommodating COVID-19-related needs?

    PacificSource—the carrier for the Lewis & Clark student health insurance plan— is eliminating out-of-pocket costs for coronavirus (COVID-19) testing and diagnosis (testing and diagnosis is covered at 100% when in-network) and related visits for their members. (Applicable diagnosis codes: B97.29, Z03.818, Z20.828 and U07.1)

    If diagnosed and additional treatment is required, those services would be considered based on the plan benefits.

    PacificSource will allow a one-time early refill for prescription drugs, in addition to covering immunizations when made available.


    The PacificSource provider network includes more than 46,300 in-network practitioners and facilities in Idaho, Montana, and Oregon, and in Clark, Cowlitz, Klickitat, Pacific, Skamania, and Wahkiakum counties in Washington.

    If student subscribers need care outside of these network areas, a robust national network of providers is available through the First Health and First Choice Health networks. Visit this website to find an in-network provider in the United States.

    Specific questions about your coverage? Call PacificSource at 541-225-2741 or 855-274-9814.

  • CAS Students: Can students still meet with a SAAB tutor?

    SAAB Tutoring will continue for spring semester, with tutors offering options for meeting remotely. From the website students can review a list of courses with tutors or request a tutor.

  • Is the Interactive Learning Center still open?

    The Interactive Learning Center in Miller 211 provides eight desktop computers and a fully wired mobile classroom for faculty and students. Peer language tutoring and online office hours with Language Assistants continue to be offered. Please contact Blair Orfall at

  • Can students still get tutoring at SQRC and the Writing Center?

    Students can self-enroll in the Moodle page called SQRC. This course contains multiple forums set up for various classes the SQRC sees questions from. Students can click on the forum for the course they want, post a question as a discussion topic, and tutors will respond. Tutors will continue to work the same hours they would in the physical center, but will instead be present on Moodle watching for new questions.

    The Writing Center remains open and available for two forms of online help:

    • Appointments with peer tutors can be made by emailing a request to We’ll work with you individually to find a time and format works for you. After spring break, peer tutors will return to hosting regular drop-in hours in a new online forum. Instructions for “dropping in” will be posted on our website.
    • Appointments with the director, John Holzwarth, can be made using the appointments link on our website:

    For now, all appointments will be conducted by video conference. Please do not hesitate to reach out for help, and feel free to email with any questions or requests at all.

  • What if I need to talk to someone in Student Support Services (SSS)?

    If you have questions regarding academic accommodations or general academic support please contact Student Support Services by calling 503-768-7192 or emailing You may also schedule an appointment online. Phone and Zoom appointments are available with SSS Staff members, if needed.

  • CAS Students: What about selling used textbooks back to the bookstore?

    Updated April 6, 2020

    Since the bookstore is closed, Barnes and Noble has decided to switch their used book buy-back to an online system.

    Please visit the website Sell Your Textbooks.

  • CAS Students: How do I return my rented textbooks?

    Updated April 6, 2020

    If you need to keep your books until the end of the semester, that is 100% OKAY. The bookstore will send you a reminder when it is time for you to return your books. The reminder will also include this link: Print a free UPS label to return your textbooks The books need to be shipped all together and as soon as finals are done.
  • Is the undergraduate campus bookstore open?

    March 23, 2020

    The physical bookstore is closed as of March 24, with a tentative plan to reopen on Monday, April 6. In the meantime, please visit the bookstore online:

  • How do I return a library book?

    Students who checkout Lewis & Clark or Summit materials will have until classes resume on campus to return them (even if that is not until fall).

  • What are the Career Center hours and how do I make an appointment?

    For the rest of the spring semester, the Career Center will still be open and you can make an appointment by visiting The Career Center has been conducting non face to face meetings for some time, so they are ready to expand their online work with students.

  • CAS Students: Has registration changed?

    Registration for Fall semester 2020 will be the same as it has been for years. Go to for instructions and your registration will be online exactly as before. You will have to be cleared to register by your faculty advisor.

  • CAS Students: I need to declare my major before registration and I can’t get my advisor’s signature. What do I do?

    March 20, 2020

    Your major declaration can be handled online. Go to and follow the directions you find there.

  • What is the policy on travel sponsored by Lewis & Clark?

    Updated March 14, 2020

    College-sponsored travel by students, faculty or staff for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester is not permitted unless an exception is granted by the relevant Vice President or Dean. Exceptions will be granted only when travel is essential to the College.

    For purpose of this policy, “College-sponsored travel” is any travel supported by College resources, whether financial or otherwise, that involves (i) air travel, or (ii) non-air travel to conferences, seminars, meetings or other events expected to have greater than 50 persons present.

    Unapproved travel will not be eligible for expense reimbursement by the College.

  • What is happening with events on campus?

    Updated March 17, 2020

    All in-person campus events expected to include more than 25 persons are canceled, and no further such events may be scheduled or held during the Spring 2020 semester, unless an exception is granted by the CFO/Vice President of Operations. Exceptions will be granted only when an event is essential to the College and if adequate social distancing and health measures can be implemented.

    Organizers of events expected to include 25 or fewer persons are encouraged to strongly consider whether the event should be canceled or modified in a way to best accomplish social distancing (e.g., conducted remotely, conducted by breaking into smaller groups, conducted in a larger room to allow greater personal distance, etc.)

  • Is Lewis & Clark increasing its cleaning and disinfecting efforts?

    Additional cleaning of high-contact areas and surfaces may slow the spread of COVID-19. With that in mind, we have begun enhanced cleaning of all high-traffic areas, including academic buildings, residence halls, and the Templeton Student Center.

    Additionally, Lewis & Clark has instructed all staff and faculty to contribute to the cleaning effort by wiping down personal surfaces such as desks, keyboards, and door handles.

  • How is COVID-19 affecting Overseas and Off-Campus Study programs?

    Updated March 17, 2020

    The Overseas & Off-Campus Programs Office has now canceled all spring semester programs and is working with those students who have not already done so to return home. Overseas Programs is working with students to complete their coursework remotely.

  • Where can I find the latest from Lewis & Clark’s Office of Health Promotion and Wellness?

    Please visit the blog for the latest posts, listed in reverse chronological order.

  • Whom should I contact if I still have questions?

    If you still have questions after reviewing this FAQ, we encourage you to contact the appropriate office or email questions to