CITI Training Instructions
Online training modules are available to all Lewis & Clark faculty, staff, and students through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). The following instructions will help you register as a new user and complete the required online training. Returning users who would like to add a course or renew training should follow the instructions for returning users below.
- Create an account
- Click on the Register icon.
- Select Your Organization Affiliation: Type in Lewis & Clark College. You must affiliate with Lewis & Clark in order for your test score(s) to count.
- Check both boxes to agree to terms of service and affirm your affiliation with L&C.
- Complete the fields for the Personal Information section.
- Create a username and password and select a security question.
- Enter country of residence.
- Select “No” for Continuing Credits option and choose whether to participate in CITI surveys and receive marketing materials (both optional).
- Complete information requested by Lewis & Clark. You must submit responses to the required fields. Other fields are optional (i.e. gender, ethnicity, and race.)
- Select Curriculum
Please respond to the enrollment questions in order to establish the courses you are going to take. The CITI Training Course Guide may be a useful reference as you complete this process and select your curriculum.
Question 1: Human Subjects Research
- Select Social & Behavioral Research Investigators if you are working with human subjects. If you do not know, ask your faculty research mentor.
- If you are NOT working with human subjects, check “Not at this time.”
Question 2: Laboratory Animal Research
- If you are NOT working with vertebrate animals, you may SKIP this question.
- If you are working with animals in your research, you MUST select “Working with the IACUC Course”. This module is required if you will work with vertebrate animals (including zebrafish).
- You are NOT an IACUC member and should not complete “Essentials for IACUC Members.” Do not check this box.
- The last two boxes: Antibody production and “minimizing pain and distress” will depend on your research project. Please discuss with your faculty mentor if you do not know.
Choose the appropriate species depending on your work or interests.
- Select the animals that you will be working with.
- You do not need to complete any of the refresher courses listed.
Question 3: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Select the field that most aligns with your research project. Please check with your faculty mentor or refer to the CITI Training Course Guide for assistance.
Question 4: Refresher Courses
- Do NOT complete any refresher courses at this time. Refresher modules are specifically for users whose training certificate has expired. Certificates are valid for 4 years.
Question 5: Conflicts of Interest
- Select “Not at this time”. Do not complete unless your mentor instructed you to do so.
Question 6: Institutional Signatory Official
- Do not complete any of these modules.You are NOT an institutional signatory official.
- Complete the online training
Proceed through the course modules. There is typically a short quiz (4-10 questions) at the end of each module. Please note:
- Lewis & Clark requires at least an 80% passing grade on each module.
- You may return to the module and re-take the quiz if necessary.
- You do not have to complete all of the modules at one time. Your quiz score(s) will be stored and you can return to complete the remaining modules at any time.
- You’re done!
Your completion certificate will automatically be emailed to the Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance Office. There is no need to forward your certificate.
Please follow these step-by-step instructions if you are a returning user who would like to add a course or update your learner group.
- Login in to your CITI account.
- Select Lewis & Clark College Courses
- Scroll down to the “My Learner Tools for Lewis & Clark College” box.
- Add a Course.
- Select Curriculum. If you need further instructions on how to select courses, please visit the CITI Training Instructions (above) for NEW users and refer to section 2, “Select Curriculum.”
- Complete the online training
- You’re done! Your completion certificate will automatically be emailed to the Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance Office. There is no need to forward your certificate.
CITI Training Course Guide
Selecting the correct modules in CITI can be confusing. The following is a list of the modules Lewis & Clark subscribes to in CITI, and when each should be completed.
RCR training is tailored to different fields of study. You should select the module that most closely matches the project you are working on, or that is specified by your faculty mentor.
- Humanities Responsible Conduct of Research (ID: 65349): Art History, English, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and World Languages and Literatures.
- Math, Natural, and Social Sciences (ID: 65347): Mathematical Sciences, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Studies, Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, International Affairs, Political Science, Rhetoric and Media Studies, Sociology.
- Responsible Conduct of Research for Engineers (ID: 92890): Engineering
- Responsible Conduct of Research for Administrators (ID: 65346): Administrators working in the Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance Office, Institutional Research, and the Dean’s Office.
Refresher courses are required every four years. Complete the Refresher that most closely matches the project you are working on.
- Refresher for Biomedical Researchers (ID: 92895)
- Refresher for Engineers (ID: 92896)
- Refresher for Physical Science Researchers (ID: 92898)
- Refresher for Social, Behavioral, and Education (SBE) Researchers (ID: 92899)
The following courses are only required if you are working with vertebrate animals. There are three required courses for working with rats, and two required courses for working with fish.
- Investigators, Staff and Students (ID: 65325): research working with rats and fish
- Working with Rats in Research Settings (ID: 65331): rats only
- Reducing Pain and Distress in Laboratory Mice and Rats (ID: 65327): rats only
- Working with Fish in Research Settings (ID: 75392): fish only
The following course must be completed if you are working with human subjects.
- Social & Behavioral Research - Basic/Refresher (ID: 65321): applies to all Human Subjects research regardless of discipline or field of study.
The courses listed below are specific to faculty, staff, and administrators who hold special roles on committees or projects.
- Financial Conflict of Interest (ID: 67419): only needs to be completed by the principal investigator or senior personnel on research funded by a federal grant.
- IACUC Chairs, Members and Coordinators (ID: 65326): must be completed by members and administrators of the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee.
- IACUC Member Refresher Case Studies (ID: 103286): Optional refresher course for IACUC members.
- IRB Members - Basic/Refresher (ID: 65322): must be completed by members of the Institutional Review Board.
- Institutional Official: Animal Care and Use (ID: 101910): only required for the Institutional Official overseeing the IACUC.
- Institutional/Signatory Official: Human Subject Research (ID: 101911): only required for the Institutional Official overseeing the IRB.