Michael Graham Scholarship Application
About the Michael Graham Scholarship
The Michael Graham Scholarship is awarded to a refugee or immigrant living in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan community. Candidates will have graduated from a local public high school and would benefit from further English Language study in Lewis & Clark College’s Academic English Studies (AES) program prior to entering a degree program at an institution of higher learning.
For the 2022-23 academic year, we are able to award two scholarships: one will be to an immigrant or refugee student from any country. This scholarship is available to PPS seniors graduating from McDaniel, Roosevelt, and Wells-Barnett High Schools. The second scholarship will be awarded to an immigrant or refugee student from Afghanistan.
AES is a full-time intensive English program that prepares students for the intensive and rigorous academic work expected in US institutions of higher learning. This program is known for:
- developing strong academic writing skills by exploring different writing styles and rhetorical patterns
- refining in-depth research skills
- increasing reading speed and comprehension while reading a wide variety of authentic texts and sources
- building oral presentation skills
- increasing the intercultural understanding necessary for university success
- developing complex analytical and critical problem-solving skills in English
Typical Schedule and Homework Requirements
AES is an intensive English program. Students are in class 20 hours a week, and are expected to do 15-30 hours of homework outside of class. The weekly schedule is:
|9:10-11:20||Writing and Reading Courses|
|11:30-12:30||Communications Skills and Seminar Courses|
|12:30-1:50||Lunch Break||Lunch Break||
|Integrated Skills Course||Integrated Skills Course|
What is included in the Scholarship?
The Michael Graham Scholarship covers one academic year’s tuition and fees for the Academic English Studies Program, required textbooks, and a monthly Tri-Met bus pass. This amounts to approximately $15,025.
Applicants must meet these minimum requirements:
- 17 years of age or older
- completed secondary school (high school)
- minimum low-intermediate English skills
- B or 3.0 GPA (grade point average)
eligible for the PPS Free and Reduced-Price Meal program
How to Apply
You will complete an on-line application form, where you will upload the required documents and answer a few questions. You will also ask for two recommendation letters to be sent to Lewis & Clark (see below). Here are the details on the documents:
- A personal essay. Please write an essay explaining how this scholarship to study academic English will help you meet your future educational goals. Your essay must be 300-500 words.
- Your 2021-22 second quarter transcript.
- A recently graded written paper.
- Two recommendation letters. One should be from your high school counselor or ESL teacher. The second should be from another high school teacher.
Important: Do not apply to Lewis & Clark College. The application for the Graham Scholarship is the only form you need to complete.
An information session will be held via Zoom, at 7pm on January 13th, 2022. For an invitation, email email@example.com.
The application deadline is February 15, 2022.
For questions regarding the application, please contact: