L&C Magazine | Spring 2021
For Lewis & Clark, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic began in earnest in March 2020, when the college moved exclusively to online learning on all three of its campuses. Now, more than a year into the global crisis, Lewis & Clark continues to make adjustments, fine-tuning its curricular and cocurricular offerings to ensure that students still experience the best of an L&C education. How has the college adapted? What’s different? What’s the same? We share a few examples, highlighting the creativity, flexibility, and resiliency of the Lewis & Clark community.Read the story
- Colors, Thoughts, and Feelings of a Pandemic.
- “Does Lewis & Clark offer classes that talk a lot about trees—from any perspective?”
It was an unexpected inquiry from a new student and advisee of Jennifer Hubbert, professor of anthropology and Asian studies. Hubbert posed the question to her colleagues on L&C’s faculty listserv. The thread quickly went viral among faculty and served to highlight one of the key strengths of a liberal arts education: its interdisciplinary focus.
Lewis & Clark alumni amplify their voices on the internet.
- Few people are as influential as a good teacher. At the close of the past academic year, Lewis & Clark bid farewell to five longtime faculty who have touched generations of students.
- The Oregon Writing Project brings educators together to build antiracist curriculum and transform their own teaching expertise into scholarly research.
- A victim of extraordinary injustice himself, Calvin Duncan pursued an unjust law for others, all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, and won. Now he’s a first-year student at Lewis & Clark Law School.
We sometimes think of institutions like ours as slow-moving and resistant to changing direction. Sometimes this is true, but last year we turned on a dime. The pandemic gave us no choice.
On Palatine Hill
- Beginning in fall 2021, Lewis & Clark will offer two new academic focus areas, building on the unique interdisciplinary strengths of the liberal arts.
- Lewis & Clark’s Board of Trustees recently welcomed four new members: