Student Health Insurance Information
For 2015-16 Lewis & Clark, in partnership with USI Northwest, has selected Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon to be administrators of the Student Health Insurance Plan. For additional information see Understanding Your Lewis & Clark 2015-2016 Student Health Insurance Plan.
NOTE: Students do not need to enroll in the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan to access services at the Student Health Service. Many services at the Student Health Service are provided at no charge to students.
UNDERGRADUATE AND LAW STUDENTS: Lewis & Clark College requires that all degree seeking and visiting, Undergraduate and Law students have medical insurance coverage comparable to that offered through the school’s comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan. For more information on the rationale behind this requirement click here. Students enrolled in the Academic English Studies program and those participating in domestic programs to New York City and Washington DC, are also held to this insurance requirement. Students are afforded one opportunity in each academic year to waive the school’s coverage and must waive each year.
The premium for the school’s insurance is charged in two installments, one for the Fall term and one for the Spring term. If students do not submit an annual health insurance waiver online with Regence, they will be automatically enrolled in coverage through the Student Health Insurance Plan for the academic year and the premiums will be charged to their student account. For eligible students, information regarding the submission of the online insurance waiver, and the associated deadline, will accompany the first billing statement of the semester.
For undergraduate and law students beginning their studies at Lewis & Clark in Spring 2016, click here for a tutorial on waiving the insurance. (Be sure to hit NEXT after you have signed the form and print for your records.)
(Note: Under special circumstances, students enrolled for the fall may decline spring coverage. See Declining Coverage for more information.) Any questions about who is eligible to submit an insurance waiver may be directed to Student and Departmental Account Services at 503-768-7829 or email@example.com.
If you waive the school’s coverage, and subsequently lose your private insurance coverage, you are required to immediately enroll in health insurance that is comparable to the College’s Student Health Insurance Plan. In these circumstances, you may choose to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Please contact Student and Departmental Account Services to rescind your waiver and enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
GRADUATE STUDENTS: Enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan is voluntary for Graduate students throughout the academic year. Enrollment must be completed online with Regence each semester. For information about benefits and coverage see the Graduate Student Summary of Benefits below. To Sign Up for Coverage please go to REGENCE BLUECROSS BLUESHIELD OF OREGON.
The deadlines for voluntary enrollment are:
- 2015-16 Graduate Student Enrollment Deadline Dates: Fall Semester - 10/1/15; Spring Semester - 2/1/16; Summer - Group “A” - 6/11/16; Group “B” - 7/16/16; Group “C” - 8/20/16.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Please see the “Frequently Asked Questions” below for more information about the Student Health Insurance plan. Additional help with insurance questions also can be found by calling the individuals listed below:
1) Specific questions about your coverage: call Regence Customer Service at 888-526-9622.
2) Questions or concerns about particular claims; what is covered; conflicts/concerns with Regence BlueCross BlueShield; issues with students not receiving their insurance cards; and issues with students getting into the waiver system: Call Patricia Wylie at USI Northwest, 503-295-6357.
3) Questions about billing for the student health insurance program; requests for late waivers; requests for spring (paper) waivers based on a qualifying life event; and requests to rescind waivers: Call Fayne Griffiths at 503-768-7826.
4) Questions or petitions regarding a) comparability of a student’s/family’s coverage, and whether it meets our waiver criteria, or b) continuation of a student’s coverage after they leave the college: Call John Hancock at 503-768-7160.
Online Insurance Waiver ( Deadline is February 2, 2016 for undergraduate or law students who are beginning their studies at Lewis & Clark during Spring 2016 or students who are returning from overseas programs.)