What to Bring
Note: Most of the items below can be purchased at local stores in Portland. During NSO, we will arrange for a group trip to a local variety store that carries bedding, toiletries, school supplies, and electronics.
- Comfortable clothing
- Warmer clothing for winter, including a winter coat
- Book bag or back pack
- Alarm clock
- Travelers checks (not too much cash)
- Credit card
- Umbrella and/or rain gear
- Flip flops for the shower
- A suit/sports coat and tie (for men)
- A "dressy" outfit (for women)
- Willingness to investigate new ideas
- Your passport.
- Your I-20 form.
- Your letter of admission to L&C.
- Your financial documents proving support.
- Your financial aid letter (if you receive financial aid).
- Your airplane ticket.
- Your proof of vaccinations (two "MMRs" required) if you have not sent them.
- Your final high school transcript, if you have not sent it.
- Highlighters, pens, pencils
- Tape, thumbtacks, rubber bands, paper clips, stapler, staples
- Dictionary and thesaurus
- Pencil sharpener
- Computer, printer, disks
Personal / Health Care
- Medical records for existing illnesses, especially allergies
- Prescription medicines, as required
- Cold medicines, aspirin, vitamins, antacids, ointments, for routine ailments
- Toiletries (razor, brush, comb, tooth brush, nail clippers, tweezers, deodorant, soap, etc.)
- Suntan lotion
- Extra pair of contact lenses and/or glasses
- Hair care products
- Chemical cold pack (to reduce swelling after a fall, for example)
For the Room
- Pillow, sheets, blankets, towels, and washcloths. (These items may be purchased at International Students and Scholars or at Portland area stores).
- Bedspread or comforter, if you desire.
- Telephone (All residence hall rooms have a telephone jack and local phone service is provided free of charge. Students can purchase a telephone instrument for a reasonable charge at Portland area stores. Roommates share a phone and your roommate may bring a telephone that you can use).
- Study lamp. (Most rooms are provided with fluorescent study lamps, but you may want additional lighting).
- Can/Bottle opener
- Stackable crates
- Message board for door
- Small refrigerator/microwave (All residence halls have small kitchens with a refrigerator and microwave.
- Laundry basket or sack
- Favorite books and posters
- CD player (with headphones)
- Favorite CDs and tapes
- An iron (if you think you need it)
- Musical instruments (not amplified)
- Sewing kit
- Sports/recreational equipment (tennis racket, tennis shoes, etc.)
- Throw rugs (if you prefer)
- Traditional national clothing (for the international fair)
- Picture album of your family and friends
- Telephone calling card
- Power strip
- Cooking/kitchen equipment
- Special spices/foods from home
- Silverware, cup, knife
- Paper towels
What NOT to bring
- Weapons of any kind
- Space heaters
- Irreplaceable valuables
The Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) is located in Templeton Campus Center on the Undergraduate Campus.
Director and Associate Dean of StudentsBrian White
Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS)
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 192
Portland, OR 97219