What to bring
Note: Most of the items below can be purchased at local stores in Portland. During NSO, we will arrange for a group trip to a local variety store that carries bedding, toiletries, school supplies, and electronics.
- Comfortable clothing
- Warmer clothing for winter, including a winter coat
- Book bag or back pack
- Alarm clock
- Travelers checks (not too much cash)
- Credit card
- Umbrella and/or rain gear
- Flip flops for the shower
- A suit/sports coat and tie (for men)
- A "dressy" outfit (for women)
- Willingness to investigate new ideas
- Your passport.
- Your I-20 form.
- Your letter of admission to L&C.
- Your financial documents proving support.
- Your financial aid letter (if you receive financial aid).
- Your airplane ticket.
- Your proof of vaccinations (two "MMRs" required) if you have not sent them.
- Your final high school transcript, if you have not sent it.
- Highlighters, pens, pencils
- Tape, thumbtacks, rubber bands, paper clips, stapler, staples
- Dictionary and thesaurus
- Pencil sharpener
- Computer, printer, disks
Personal / Health Care
- Medical records for existing illnesses, especially allergies
- Prescription medicines, as required
- Cold medicines, aspirin, vitamins, antacids, ointments, for routine ailments
- Toiletries (razor, brush, comb, tooth brush, nail clippers, tweezers, deodorant, soap, etc.)
- Suntan lotion
- Extra pair of contact lenses and/or glasses
- Hair care products
- Chemical cold pack (to reduce swelling after a fall, for example)
For the Room
- Pillow, sheets, blankets, towels, and washcloths. (These items may be purchased at International Students and Scholars or at Portland area stores).
- Bedspread or comforter, if you desire.
- Telephone (All residence hall rooms have a telephone jack and local phone service is provided free of charge. Students can purchase a telephone instrument for a reasonable charge at Portland area stores. Roommates share a phone and your roommate may bring a telephone that you can use).
- Study lamp. (Most rooms are provided with fluorescent study lamps, but you may want additional lighting).
- Can/Bottle opener
- Stackable crates
- Message board for door
- Small refrigerator/microwave (All residence halls have small kitchens with a refrigerator and microwave.
- Laundry basket or sack
- Favorite books and posters
- CD player (with headphones)
- Favorite CDs and tapes
- An iron (if you think you need it)
- Musical instruments (not amplified)
- Sewing kit
- Sports/recreational equipment (tennis racket, tennis shoes, etc.)
- Throw rugs (if you prefer)
- Traditional national clothing (for the international fair)
- Picture album of your family and friends
- Telephone calling card
- Power strip
- Cooking/kitchen equipment
- Special spices/foods from home
- Silverware, cup, knife
- Paper towels
What NOT to bring
- Weapons of any kind
- Space heaters
- Irreplaceable valuables