Job Search Resource Center
This collection of resources is intended to help you find summer jobs or longer-term work, undergraduate field studies or graduate programs, outdoor education programs, local groups, skill certification courses or cheap gear for your own skill-building personal trips.
If you know of any programs, camps, organizations or resources not included here that would be a valuable addition to this collection, great — bring us the contact info. In addition, if you have worked for or studied with any of these organizations and would like to serve as a campus representative, let us know and we will list your name, email, and/or phone number alongside the program’s listing so that interested folks can contact you.
College Outdoors frequently gets recruitment flyers. These are posted outside the office in Templeton 244 and saved here.
I. Search lots of jobs from one site: Databases/Search Engines
II. Individual Programs, Organizations, Companies, Outfitters
III. Educate Yourself: Medical Training, Undergraduate Field Studies, Outdoor Schools, Local Groups, Graduate Programs
IV. Get geared up: Cheap and/or local equipment
I. Job Search Databases
Note: This is a great place to start familiarizing yourself with what’s out there without having to type in a million different websites. You may be able to narrow your search according to geography, type of position, etc. This is also a good way to start browsing summer camps.
- Association for Experiential Education
Student Conservation Association
- Association for Environmental & Outdoor Education
- National Park Service Employment Information
- Coolworks National Parks Job Database
- Colorado Outdoor Adventure Guide
- MoneyGeek Guide to Outdoor Careers
Secondary Schools/Programs with Outdoor Components
- Eagle Rock School, CO
- High Mountain Institute, CO
- Oregon Episcopal School, OR
- The Mountain School, VT
- The White Mountain School, NH
- Four Corners Rafting
- Outdoor Adventure River Specialists
- Oregon River Experiences
- Echo Canyon River Expeditions
Environmental Education for Kids
- Oregon Museum of Science & Industry: Science Camps
- Christodora, Inc., NY/MA
- Hawthorne Valley Farm, NY
- Keystone Science School
Summer Expeditions and Outdoor Education
- Outward Bound School
- National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
- Deer Hill Expeditions, CO
- Adventures Cross Country: Worldwide
- Wilderness Ventures: Worldwide
- Adventure Treks
- Kroka Expeditions, VT
- SPLORE Accessible Outdoor Adventure, UT
- Cispus Learning Center, WA
- Passages Northwest, WA
- The Mountain Institute, WV
- Crystalaire Adventures, MI/WI (run by LC Alumnus)
You may also be interested in working for these folks!
Outdoor Skill Schools
Undergraduate Environmental Field Studies
- Wild Rockies Field Institute
- Teton Science School, WY
- University of Montana
- Sea Education Association, MA
- Castle Rock Institute, NC
- Southwest Field Studies, Earlham College
- Williams College & Mystic Seaport Maritime Studies Program, CT
- Prescott College, AZ
- San Juan College, NM: Outdoor Leadership and Recreation Program
- Lewis & Clark College Paddle Club E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Whitewater Kayaking instruction and excursions
- The Circuit Bouldering Gym
- Stoneworks (Rock Climbing Gym)
- Portland Rock Gym
- Mazamas Rock Climbing, Mountaineering and Hiking club.
Remember to browse the CO Library for books that will help you study up for your next personal trip!
College Outdoors offers rentals on a number of essential items for outdoor adventures. Check out our rental page here. We also include the addresses and numbers of local businesses that rent and/or sell gear.