School navigation

Content tagged with "CPSY"



June 7th, 2019

June 21st, 2019

  • 9:00am: Solution-Focused Supervision
    Friday, June 21, 2019, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
    3 CEUs. Satisfies the OBLPCT’s 3-hour requirement for licensed and registered supervisors.

June 28th, 2019

July 11th, 2019

September 21st, 2019

October 9th, 2019

  • All Day: Clinical Supervision
    Wednesday-Thursday, October 9-10 and 16-17, 2019, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
    30 CEUs

October 12th, 2019

October 19th, 2019

October 26th, 2019

December 6th, 2019



  • You are welcomed to contact your academic department of interest or the Admissions office to arrange for a campus visit. Also, check if your program is hosting a online info session.

  • For an estimated total cost of your program, go to the Paying for Graduate School  page and multiply the number of credits of your program by the cost per credit. To determine the cost of tuition for a current semester, multiply by the number of credits registered by the current cost per credit. Students who take courses off campus may be charged a lesser fee. As a rule, tuition increases each summer.

  • Many of our programs host on-campus info sessions throughout the year. These programs present a thorough perspective of the program and faculty are present to answer your questions.

    If you cannot attend an info session, go to your intended program’s home page to view Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or find the program’s contact information to request more information. We also attend graduate school fairs and events in other parts of the country. Go to our Info Sessions page for current schedules. Some Info Session are offered online (virtual).

  • With careful planning, it is possible to complete the program for the M.A. in Professional Mental Health Counseling in eight semesters (full-time). Most students find it personally and professionally better to take slightly longer. Professional Mental Health Counseling-Addictions students take eight semesters full-time with careful planning. Marriage, Couple and Family Therapy students take three or four years, including a full year of internship. School Psychology students take three years full-time, the last year being a full-time internship.

  • We are interested in offering selected courses through distance education formats and are doing preparatory work for this avenue. No such courses have yet been scheduled.

  • All students admitted to a counseling psychology program are expected to have a thorough grasp of the natural and social science aspects of psychology. Students without a background in psychology may satisfy this program requirement within the first year of study in one of the following ways:

    • Pass the GRE psychology test with a score of 550 or better.
    • Take Psychology for Everyone (noncredit option), a course offered once a year by Continuing Education.
    • Pass one undergraduate introductory psychology course, one undergraduate abnormal psychology course, and one undergraduate social psychology course. These courses may be taken through the institution of the student’s choice, ideally prior to enrollment in a Counseling Psychology degree program. (Credit hours are not applicable to the degree.) Evidence of passing grades must be presented to an advisor.
  • Our programs prepare students in School Psychology and Professional Mental Health Counseling-Addictions for licensing by the state of Oregon. Those licenses are typically issued on completion of the degree program and submission of that program and required test scores to the state. Students graduating from our Professional Mental Health Counseling and Marriage, Couple, and Family therapy programs hold degrees that make them eligible to pursue licensing from their respective licensing and certification boards.

  • The Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists currently requires a total of 2400 hours of supervised client contact to be eligible for becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). A minimum of 240 of those hours are required during your master’s degree program. Most students complete their degree with a few more hours than this minimum. These hours acquired during your master’s degree program count toward the total 2400 required for full licensing. (During the time between your completion of your degree and your completion of the 2400 hours, you are eligible to practice publicly or privately. For your practice hours to count toward full licensing, they must be supervised according to Board guidelines.) A majority of states have requirements similar to those in Oregon. But each state governs its own practice. To have definitive information about these requirements, it is necessary to contact the licensing authority in each state for their current standards and procedures.

  • Almost all medical insurance companies, managed care companies and HMOs pay reimbursements for counseling by our graduates. Laws requiring insurance companies to give equal recognition to master’s level counselors vary from state to state. They have been gaining support in recent years. Current trends nationwide show rapidly growing recognition of master’s level practitioners in both public and private practice.

  • The graduate school does not offer teaching assistantships. However, faculty may receive grant monies for a research project and will hire current students to assist. Notification is done internally by individual faculty or departments. The Counseling Psychology department hosts some Graduate Assistant positions at our Counseling Clinic. Students currently enrolled in Counseling Psychology programs are notified regarding availability and the application process.

    Currently, Graduate Assistant positions are by the Division of Student Life in the College of Arts and Sciences. Assistant positions are only open to current and new students in graduate counseling psychology and school counseling programs. Notification regarding the application process is announced internally to current and new students in the spring.

  • While the college does not offer on-site childcare, resources for community members are available at

  • Classes are offered in the daytime and in the evening. Our programs are designed using a cohort system, and students in the cohort are expected to take the courses scheduled for their cohort in the necessary order. Many classes take place in the evening, but daytime courses are also required. All programs can be done part-time in careful consultation with your advisor, but you may need to add an extra year or more to your program.

  • Most students who wish to develop specialized qualifications can do so by planning a specific strategy with the help of their advisers. Examples of specialized work with specific client populations includes (among many possibilities): adults and adolescents with disordered eating, adults recovering from childhood abuse, loss and grief in children, and work with aging persons.

  • Sometimes, a class will be scheduled both during the week as well as on weekends. We are currently re-examining the possibility of scheduling classes on weekends and by other intensive formats.


  • No, we do not.

  • You need to check the current tuition rate, which is given per credit hour. Then, multiply that by the number of semester hours required by your program.


  • On our admissions webpage, you can find information about upcoming info sessions, requirements for admission to individual programs, deadlines for admissions materials, financial aid information, and more.

  • Links to scholarship and financial aid information can be found on the Funding Graduate School web page

    After reviewing the information and you still have questions, you may contact the Finanical Aid office and identify yourself as a graduate student. You will be directed to a specialist who can answer your questions. Financial aid at the graduate level is primarily comprised of a variety of need-based and non-need based student bank loans. You must be admitted to the graduate program before the financial aid application is reviewed.

  • Nonadmitted students may complete up to nine semester hours of credit (within one year) before applying to the department, but must obtain Special Student Status in order to do so. The application process for Special Student Status is an abbreviated version of the regular admission process.

  • While not legally mandated to pay, most insurance companies do pay for counseling by Licensed Professional Counselors. Exceptions usually occur in areas where there is a heavy concentration of mental health professionals, and the Licensed Professional Counselor has no specialty which the insurance company recognizes as needed.

  • Currently, on-campus housing for graduate students is available during the summer. Information about living off campus can be found on our Student Life page.

  • Most students pursuing the MA expect to go into practice; students pursuing an MS typically intend to pursue doctoral studies. Many MS students also want to work in program evaluation or other research. The MA program does not require a thesis, whereas the MS program culminates with a research thesis. There are slight differences in the course requirements for the MS If you are interested in the option, ask the Counseling Psychology office for more specific information and discuss your ideas with an advisor.

  • Graduate credit from other accepted institutions can be transferred if the courses are related to the program you are pursuing.The credit transfer policy is available on the Registrar’s website.

    To determine if courses you have taken can transfer, bring course descriptions and transcripts to your adviser and discuss the applicability of the transfer. After completing a brief application and providing the needed documentation (this includes the appearance of the candidate course on your transcript), the decision will be made by a subcommittee of faculty.

    Practicum and Internship courses cannot be transferred.


Share this story on