Vehicle Rental Policies & Drivers Clearance
Lewis & Clark has changed the way we handle vehicle rentals. Please see the options below when planning your next trip.
8360 SW Barbur Boulevard
Portland, OR 97219
Reserving a vehicle
Vehicle reservations can be made directly through Enterprise either by phone or the link above. To reserve a vehicle, you will need to provide:
- A contact name, phone extension, and email address
- The sponsoring department name and account number
- The size of vehicle needed (various options listed below ‘Pricing’ heading)
- The date and time of pick-up
- The names of all drivers; Enterprise will need to refer to the list of L&C certified drivers to ensure vehicles are being driven by those who have been cleared to drive. For information regarding certification, see bottom of this page.
- Cancellations for Enterprise rentals MUST be received at least 72 hours in advance or a $60.00 fee may be assessed by the rental agency.
U-Car Share is now available at Lewis & Clark. Students, staff, and faculty can rent a car to run errands, go to a local agency to volunteer, or for any other reason for as low as $4.99 per hour plus mileage.
Guidelines to renting a U-Car
- All drivers need to be at least 18 years old
- A one-time lifetime membership fee is required – but if you sign up as a member in the first four months, that fee is waived
- If you already have paid for a ZipCar membership, you can use that as your U-Car Share membership
- Drivers must have a valid drivers license, U.S. or International
Please follow this link to sign up, once you complete the registration form. Please note that when you register, your credit card will have a $5 charge placed on it (and then refunded) to verify that the credit card is valid.
Using a car
Once you have registered, U-Car Share will mail you your membership card you will use to swipe in to the car. You won’t be able to rent a car without this, so register soon! The two U-Cars have designated parking spots across from Odell Hall on the CAS campus.
Department Reimbursement (LC Staff Only)
Need a vehicle for Lewis & Clark related activities? U-Car share can help! Users only need to clear with their respective departments, pay with a credit card, then submit for reimbursement.
If you have any questions about the U-Car Share program, please feel free to contact Jason Feiner, Director of Student Activities at email@example.com or 503-768-7122.
The advantages to a car sharing program are many, from having reliable transportation that is available on demand to supplement the Pioneer Shuttle, to reducing the amount of cars people bring to campus, thus being able to lower an individual/organization’s carbon footprint.
On-Campus Van Rentals
The PE/Athletics and College Outdoors departments each have a small fleet of vans used primarily for their own high volume of trips. At times when these vans are not being used, they are available for outside use. Both departments share the same pricing structure for renting:
- $50.00 per day
- .50₵ per mile
- Fuel paid by hosting department
- Vehicle must be returned with a full tank of fuel
- A fine of $35.00 will be added if
- Vehicle is returned without a full tank of fuel
- If car is returned dirty and must be cleaned (in this case $35.00 is the minimum fine, total cost determined by cost of labor and supplies)
- Each first-time driver of a campus-owned vehicle must first go through a 15 minute orientation regarding the operation of the vehicle
- Inquiries and reservations can ONLY be made through email, allowing for a consistent and organized reservation system (contact information for each department can be found below)
The Athletics department has a fleet of three 12-passenger vans and one 9-passenger Suburban. This fleet is often used by Athletics to transport teams to away games and availability is therefore limited. Athletics’ frequent daily use of the vehicles makes van availability scarce between mid August – November as well as between February – April. Summer months and over winter break tend to be the easiest time to rent from Athletics (December – January and May – mid August). For specific date availability please contact Athletics directly:
Sharon Sexton, Associate Director, Physical Education and Athletics, firstname.lastname@example.org
College Outdoors has a fleet of two 8-passenger Suburbans and one 8-passenger Expedition. This fleet is primarily reserved for weekend trips out of town through this department. Busy times for College Outdoors include mid August – Labor Day, Fall & Spring semester weekends, Fall & Spring Break. Early summer months and over winter break tend to be the easiest time to rent from College Outdoors (December – mid January and May - early August). For specific date availability please contact College Outdoors directly:
Thom Lehman, Assistant Director, College Outdoors, email@example.com
Achieving driver’s clearance
To be authorized to drive a College vehicle or an Enterprise vehicle leased by the College (not U-Car Share), drivers must complete an online driver’s training course sent to the applicant following the completion of two pieces of paperwork:
The driving record of an applicant is requested from the College’s insurance company within 3 working days of receipt of application. Please allow 2-3 weeks processing for Oregon licensed drivers and 3-6 weeks for out of state licensed drivers. Insurance restrictions require that all drivers must have a United States state issued license. Unless a driver’s record changes, clearances are good for one year for students and temporary employees, and for three years for faculty and permanent employees.
Upon satisfactory driving record review, the Occupational Health and Safety Officer will send a link to the Online Drivers Training Course to the applicant for completion. Following the successful completion of the course, the applicant’s name will be added to the list of certified drivers (below). Clearance will not be granted without completion of both the record check and the driver training.
When clearance is granted or denied, a letter will be sent to the sponsoring department and to the applicant if possible. Details of the driving record are confidential and may only be disclosed to the applicant. If a driver is denied clearance for an unacceptable driving record, the decision may be appealed. The insurance company then reviews the driving record and a recommendation for additional action is established.
Current list of certified drivers
If you are interested in knowing what members of the community are currently cleared to drive, please follow the link below to see the list of those authorized by department.
Information regarding driving privileges or the current status of an application is available from Facilities Services’ Occupational Health and Safety Officer, Bob Tomlin, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-768-7872.
The Office of Facilities Services - Transportation and Parking is located in Facilities Services on the Undergraduate Campus.
Office of Facilities Services - Transportation and Parking
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 109
Portland, OR 97219