Vehicle Rental Policies & Procedures
Lewis & Clark has changed the way we handle vehicle rentals. Please see the options below when planning your next trip.
L&C recently moved hourly rentals to Zipcar! We are excited to provide this service to students, faculty and staff. Cars will begin to arrive on campus August 5th, 2013. To sign up for a membership please use this link or for more information email Zip. If you have L&C specific questions, please contact Amy Dvorak or 503-768-7794.
- Create your membership and reserve vehicles on the L&C Zipcar page
- Watch the how-to-video
- UHaul U Car Share members can join for free!
- Download the Zipcar app
- Cars are located near Templeton and Holmes Hall
- Honda Insight Hybrid
- All-wheel-drive Ford Escape equipped with a bike rack and national park pass
- Ford Focus Hatchback
- Honda Fit Electric Vehicle
- Zipvan cargo van
Zipcar allows members simple 24/7 self service. That means you can reserve a car with a smartphone app or online then unlock it with your very own Zipcard - the keys are always inside. With Zipcar, every trip is a round trip from a dedicated home location either from right on campus or one of many other areas all over PDX.
8360 SW Barbur Boulevard
Portland, OR 97219
Reserving a vehicle
Vehicle reservations can be made directly through Enterprise either by phone or the link above. To reserve a vehicle, you will need to provide:
- A contact name, phone extension, and email address
- Sponsoring department name and a purchasing card number
- Size of vehicle needed (various options listed below ‘Pricing’ heading)
- Date and time and whether you plan to pick up or have the vehicle delivered
- The names of all drivers; Enterprise will need to refer to the list of L&C certified drivers to ensure vehicles are being driven by those who have been cleared to drive. For information regarding certification, see bottom of this page.
Cancellations for Enterprise rentals MUST be received at least 72 hours in advance or a $60.00 fee may be assessed by the rental agency.
On-Campus Van Rentals
The PE/Athletics and College Outdoors departments each have a small fleet of vans used primarily for their own high volume of trips. At times when these vans are not being used, they are available for outside use. Both departments share the same pricing structure for renting:
- $50.00 per day
- .50₵ per mile
- Fuel paid by hosting department
- Vehicle must be returned with a full tank of fuel
- A fine of $35.00 will be added if
- Vehicle is returned without a full tank of fuel
- If car is returned dirty and must be cleaned (in this case $35.00 is the minimum fine, total cost determined by cost of labor and supplies)
- Each first-time driver of a campus-owned vehicle must first go through a 15 minute orientation regarding the operation of the vehicle
- Inquiries and reservations can ONLY be made through email, allowing for a consistent and organized reservation system (contact information for each department can be found below)
The Athletics department has a fleet of three 12-passenger vans and one 9-passenger Suburban. This fleet is often used by Athletics to transport teams to away games and availability is therefore limited. Athletics’ frequent daily use of the vehicles makes van availability scarce between mid August – November as well as between February – April. Summer months and over winter break tend to be the easiest time to rent from Athletics (December – January and May – mid August). For specific date availability please contact Athletics directly:
Sharon Sexton, Associate Director, Physical Education and Athletics, email@example.com
College Outdoors has a fleet of two 8-passenger Suburbans and one 8-passenger Expedition. This fleet is primarily reserved for weekend trips out of town through this department. Busy times for College Outdoors include mid August – Labor Day, Fall & Spring semester weekends, Fall & Spring Break. Early summer months and over winter break tend to be the easiest time to rent from College Outdoors (December – mid January and May - early August). For specific date availability please contact College Outdoors directly:
Thom Lehman, Assistant Director, College Outdoors, firstname.lastname@example.org
To be authorized to drive a College vehicle or an Enterprise vehicle leased by the College (not U-Car Share), drivers must complete an online driver’s training course sent to the applicant following the completion of two pieces of paperwork:
The driving record of an applicant is requested from the College’s insurance company within 3 working days of receipt of application. Please allow 2-3 weeks processing for Oregon licensed drivers and 3-6 weeks for out of state licensed drivers. Insurance restrictions require that all drivers must have a United States state issued license. Unless a driver’s record changes, clearances are good for one year for students and temporary employees, and for three years for faculty and permanent employees.
Upon satisfactory driving record review, the Occupational Health and Safety Officer will send a link to the Online Drivers Training Course to the applicant for completion. Following the successful completion of the course, the applicant’s name will be added to the list of certified drivers (below). Clearance will not be granted without completion of both the record check and the driver training.
When clearance is granted or denied, a letter will be sent to the sponsoring department and to the applicant if possible. Details of the driving record are confidential and may only be disclosed to the applicant. If a driver is denied clearance for an unacceptable driving record, the decision may be appealed. The insurance company then reviews the driving record and a recommendation for additional action is established.
Current list of certified drivers
If you are interested in knowing what members of the community are currently cleared to drive, please follow the link below to see the list of those authorized by department.
Information regarding driving privileges or the current status of an application is available from Facilities Services’ Occupational Health and Safety Officer, Bob Tomlin, at email@example.com or 503-768-7872.