The Fabulous 50
September 04, 2011
As a last assignment, we asked seniors from the College of Arts and Sciences about what they did—or wished they had done—before graduating from Lewis & Clark. We’ve collected 50 of their responses here.
In the Classroom
1. Take advantage of office hours. Get to know your professors.
2. Don’t shy away from difficult courses or professors.
4. Speak up in seminars.
5. Design an experiment in a natural science lab.
6. Apply for a grant from the Student Academic Affairs Board to research something you’re passionate about.
7. Learn a different language.
9. Bridge the gap between theory and practice: take a class or do an independent study that allows you to complete an internship in Portland.
10. Take a yoga class.
12. Wander our beautiful campus.
13. Swim in the pool near the Frank Manor House on a sunny day.
14. Attend a cappella concerts.
15. Participate in College Outdoors.
16. Get involved in a club or organization.
18. Take a run in neighboring Tryon Creek State Park.
19. Break into the Frank Manor House at night. (Hmm, we’d venture to guess this is not recommended by Campus Safety.)
20. Explore the campus ravine—you live in a forest.
21. Join a sports team—it builds amazing community.
23. Climb trees on South Campus.
In the Residence Halls
24. Get to know your neighbors—keep your door open.
25. Unload your clothes from the dryer as soon as they’re done.
27. Organize impromptu Wednesday afternoon dance parties.
28. Make inventive milk shakes in the Bon.
29. Get a Christmas tree and keep it in your room. (Shh, don’t tell your RA.)
30. Have a milk-and-cookies pajama party with your dorm floor.
31. Do homework at coffee shops.
32. Go thrift-store shopping.
33. Check out Portland’s Waterfront Park, the Oregon Zoo, the Japanese Gardens, and Saturday Market.
35. Spend the day at Powell’s City of Books.
36. Get involved mentoring or tutoring students in local schools.
37. Take in music at the Crystal Ballroom.
38. When you’re old enough, check out Portland’s amazing array of breweries.
40. Walk around nearby River View Cemetery.
41. Pick blackberries anywhere you can find them.
42. Get to know Portland through its great collection of restaurants.
43. Explore Portland by bike.
44. Make late-night runs to Voodoo Doughnut.
Throughout the Northwest
45. Hike in the Columbia River Gorge.
46. Camp on the coast to the sweet barking of sea lions.
47. Visit the Cascades for snowshoeing, snowboarding, or camping.
48. Drive down to California and back on U.S. Highway 101.
50. Work hard, have fun, get stressed out, and succeed!