About Our Service
Mission and Learning Outcomes
The mission of the Counseling Service is to promote the psychological health of Lewis & Clark students so that they may achieve their academic potential and live healthy, well-balanced lives.
The Counseling Service accomplishes this mission by:
- Providing high-quality and timely assessment, counseling, crisis intervention and referral services to undergraduate, graduate and law students.
- Providing high-quality consultation to faculty, staff, students and parents about students of concern.
- Providing outreach programs to students on topics related to mental health and academic success.
- Collaborating with other partners on campus in joint initiatives to meet students’ psychological health needs, address public health problems, and improve student success.
- Promoting inclusion and increasing awareness of the impact of privilege, prejudice, marginalization, and discrimination in the lives of individuals.
- Providing a safe environment for all by recognizing the unique identities of our Lewis and Clark College community.
- Providing a high-quality training program to doctoral practicum trainees.
- Providing all services in a manner which is consistent with professional ethical guidelines and legal mandates.
As we engage with students, we promote and assess the following learning outcomes:
- Students who engage in counseling will report that their counseling experience helped them improve their ability to accept and/or cope with their emotions.
- Students who engage in counseling will learn more about themselves as a result of the services they received.
- Students will report that their counseling experience helped them improve the quality of their relationships.
Student Life Mission Statement
As part of the division of Student Life, staff in the Counseling Service share in the Student Life mission: Lewis & Clark fosters a community of globally engaged citizen-leaders who share a desire to create positive change. We collaborate in academic and experiential learning, civic leadership and career development, diversity and inclusion, and wellness. We are an enduring community of scholars who inquire and work in an interdependent world, and create a place of belonging in which all students can take pride and realize their full potential.