August 13, 2019
There was a possible cougar sighting on campus yesterday near Fir Acres and Evans. The Oregonian reported a cougar sighting in the neighborhood last month.
If you encounter a cougar, you should:
- Stay calm and stand your ground.
- Maintain direct eye contact.
- Pick up any children, but do so without bending down or turning your back on the cougar.
- Back away slowly.
- Do not run. Running triggers a chase response in cougars, which could lead to an attack.
- Raise your voice and speak firmly.
- If the cougar seems aggressive, raise your arms to make yourself look larger and clap your hands.
- If in the very unusual event that a cougar attacks you, fight back with rocks, sticks, tools or any other items available.
If you see a cougar on campus, call Campus Safety: 503-768-7777.