School navigation

Veterans Services


Before the US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) will pay for education benefits, several things need to happen:

The veteran or service member must submit an application to the VA. After review, the VA will determine:

  • The veteran’s eligibility for educational VA benefits.
  • How much the veteran is entitled to receive.
  • How long the veteran is entitled to receive payment.

Apply for your VA Educational Benefits with the VA

NOTE: The veteran or service member will receive notification (Certificate of Eligibility) from the VA that gives him or her the details of entitlement or ineligibility for educational benefits. (Hang on to this letter!)

The next steps you will take care of at Lewis & Clark:

  • Submit an application for admission to Lewis & Clark College (College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate School of Education and Counseling or Law School).
  • Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes be sent to the appropriate office and campus (CAS Registrar for undergraduates, Graduate Admissions for graduate students or Law Registrar for law students).
  • Submit a Certification Request for Veterans’ Benefits to Lewis & Clark College of Arts & Sciences Registrar’s Office.
  • Submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility you receive from the VA to Lewis & Clark College of Arts & Sciences Registrar’s Office..
  • Schedule an appointment with an advisor to formulate an education plan to ensure that courses can be used towards your degree/program of study.

If you have previously used your VA educational benefits at another school, you’ll need to submit the following documents in addition to the items listed above:

  • Request for Change of Program/Place of Training:
    -  For Chapter 35 Recipients:  Form 22-5495
    -  For all other Chapters:  Form 22-1995

Veterans Services

Contact Us