School navigation

Veterans Services

Can I receive direct deposit of my benefit payments?

Direct deposit of VA educational benefits payment is available for Chapter 30 recipients. This program speeds up education and work-study payments. It also decreases the chance of missing, lost, or stolen checks. As easy as 1-2-3, Chapter 30 students may request direct deposit through the VA by calling the VA at 1.800.827.1000. The VA will require students to provide their VA file number, bank routing number, and checking/savings account number.

Can I be a concurrently enrolled student and apply for benefits at both schools?

While receiving VA educational benefits, students may be concurrently enrolled at more than one school during the same semester. Whichever school the student is pursuing a degree from will be the Parent School. Courses taken at the Supplemental School will be credited toward the current major the student is pursuing. Veteran students are responsible for informing the Supplemental School’s Veterans’ Office where their Parent School is located. The Supplemental School will complete the certification for the benefits form (VA form 22-1999) and send it to the Parent School.

Does Lewis & Clark offer advanced payment?

Yes, returning students who have been out of school for over 30 days and new students may choose to receive Advanced Payment. This must be done no later than 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Check with the VA for requirements and dates in which to apply for Advance Pay.

I attended L&C previously, is there anything I need to do?

All previously enrolled veterans educational benefits recipients at L&C should report to the School Certifying Official prior to registering to ensure proper credit. Students must turn in a completed Certification Request for VA Benefits form after registering for classes every semester to ensure the continuance of their benefits. Registered classes eligible for certification must be used towards obtaining a degree or approved program of study. Please check with your advisor to make sure that your coursework can be used for your degree program. 

Do I need to verify my enrollment every month?

Veteran students who receive benefits under Chapter 30, 34 and 1606 GI Bill, have to verify their enrollment each month. These students will receive an award letter from the VA Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, OK. Once this is received, the student can self-certify. To ensure prompt payment of benefits, please self-certify every month. The earliest this can be done is the last day of the month. Monthly verification (self-certification) can be done via one of the following two ways:

Telephone - Using Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 1.877.823.2378

Internet - WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).

Failure to self-certify will cause your benefits to stop. You must do this every month or you will not get paid! Federal holidays may delay receipt of the Student Verification of Enrollment and/or your check.

Are there certain academic standards that students must maintain to continue to receive VA education benefits?

  • Students must maintain a minimum 2.00 GPA each term they are certified for VA education benefits, along with the requirements listed below, in order to meet satisfactory academic standing. Please note the following:

a)       A CAS student who earns a GPA lower than 2.0 after having earned a GPA lower than 2.0 for three consecutive semesters or after having been on warning or probation for three consecutive semesters will be suspended. Please see the CAS College Catalog policies regarding Academic Standing for more information. Please notify Lewis & Clark College CAS Registrar’s Office if mitigating circumstances are a factor.

b)      Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average and have earned no more than two grades below B- or any grade lower than a C- in order to meet the satisfactory academic standing requirements. Please see the Graduate School Catalog policies regarding degree candidacy.

c)       Good standing for a Law student at the end of the first academic year is a minimum yearly and cumulative grade point average of 1.80. Students whose cumulative or yearly GPA at the end of the first year is at or above 1.60 but below 1.80 will have one semester to get the GPA to the required minimum. For more information, please see the Law School Student Handbook.

What VA educational benefits are available at Lewis & Clark?

The following VA educational assistance benefits are available at Lewis & Clark:

Are all programs at Lewis & Clark approved for veterans educational benefits?

No, not all programs are approved for VA educational benefits.  You will find a complete list of approved programs on our Approved Degrees and Programs Letter from our State Approving Agency.

Veterans Services

Contact Us