INS Obligations for F-1 Students

  • Remember that you, not the Office of International Students and Scholars, are responsible for maintaining your legal status while in the US.
  •  Make sure your passport is valid at all times when you are in the US.
  • Register on SEVIS (the Department of Homeland Security’s database) in International Students and Scholars within the first two weeks of classes each semester.  To register you need to bring the following:  (1) your passport, (2) your I-20 form (or DS-2019 form if you are on a J-1 visa), (3) your I-94 (arrival/departure card usually stapled in your passport), (4) your current address, (5) you telephone numbers, (6) the number of credits you are taking during the semester.
  • Report a change of address/phone number to the International Students and Scholars office within 10 days of the change.
  • Check the completion date in item 5 on your I-20. It is your responsibility not to overstay that date.
  • Register for and complete at least 12 credits per semester (undergraduates, JD day students), 9 semester credits (JD night students), 6 semester credits (graduate students) or 5 semester credits (LLM students).
  • Participate in employment, internships, or classes requiring practical experience off campus ONLY after getting approval from International Students and Scholars and with DHS authorization.
  • If you are engaged in Optional Practical Training (After Graduation), you must inform the International Students and Scholars Office of any change in your employment and supply us with the contact information of your employer.
  • If you have questions or concerns about immigration, please contact International Students and Scholars (ISS).  Do not contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) yourself.  Let ISS do it for you.