Info for International Scholars

Each year Lewis & Clark College, Lewis & Clark Law School and the Graduate School of Education and Counseling host a number of visiting international scholars or “exchange visitors.” These include both tenured and non-tenured teaching faculty, language assistants, paid and unpaid researchers, special short-term lecturers, guest speakers and other international visitors.  Most of these exchange visitors require a J-1 visa to enter the United States for the purpose of conducting their academic activities at Lewis & Clark.  In some cases, guest speakers can enter the US on a B1/B2 visitor visa for the purpose of giving a guest lecture or presentation.

This page is designed to provide information on various exchange visitor categories, eligibility requirements, immigration regulations, payment requirements, and steps needed to bring Exchange Visitors to the Lewis & Clark College campus.

The Office of International Students and Scholars is the primary contact for faculty or administrators of all three schools who wish to bring an Exchange Visitor to campus. ISS staff members Brian White and Bridget Flaherty are recognized by Lewis & Clark and registered with the US Department of State as “responsible officers” to issue relevant immigration documents for Exchange Visitors.

Below you will find a number of categories of Exchange Visitors. For information about each category, click on the appropriate heading.

Guest Speakers

Paid, Short-Term Exchange Visitors—Professors, Researchers, or Professionals

Unpaid, Non-Contracted Exchange Visitors—Professors, Researchers, or Professionals

If you have questions or concerns about the process, please contact:

International Students and Scholars
MSC 192
Lewis & Clark College
615 S Palatine Hill Road
Portland, OR 97219
TEL: 503-768-7305
FAX: 503-768-7301