Classroom Computer Support
Frequently Asked Questions
Any individual who has a valid Lewis & Clark College login has the ability to access any classroom computer.
Please refer to the Lab Reservations for more information.
Macintosh Lab Software
PC Lab Software
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8
For a location-specific list of software, see our full Lab/Classroom Software List page.
Every LC user has full administrative rights to be able to install any application or modify any application on classroom computers as long as they follow the software licensing requirements (see below). The software will only be on the computer for 24 hours before it will revert itself back to where it once was before the installation.
Client Services will not install software without appropriate licensing, and the acquisition of such licensing is the responsibility of the requesting party. Therefore, please make certain that you obtain and provide a sufficient number of valid lab licenses prior to making a request to have software installed in classrooms. Software can be managed to restrict the number of licenses that can be used at one time.
Please understand that a software evaluation version will not be accepted. Shareware is not acceptable unless proof of ownership is provided or you have written approval from the software owner for such purposes. Freeware will be reviewed per request as dictated by the freeware license agreement.
The software must be installed by the Lab Manager and only when the following criteria are met:
- The software must be something that we can add to the master computer image.
- The requesting party must provide proof of a valid license and meet all conditions of the license agreement.
- Software must be provided to the Lab Manager for testing prior to installation. The software will be tested for stability on a model system. If it does not appear to be stable, it will not be installed on the instructor workstation.
- Client Services will not support these applications unless it’s listed in the Supported Software List. You must get support from your department.
- Client Services cannot guarantee that the application will be available once installed — the hard disks are clones of a master image and in the event of a system failure, or the need critical updates, the old disk is removed and a new disk is installed. The software would obviously be missing until it is re-installed.
- If there is any question about legitimate licensing, support or stability, Client Services reserves the right to refuse the installation.
Any files download from the internet are saved the the desktop that specifc classroom computer. Those files will be there for 24 hours and then will disappear.
If you have any computer files that you would like to keep on that specific classroom computer for instructional purposes, there is an icon on the desktop that refers to “ThawSpace.” If you double click that icon, inside is a save space that will not be deleted in the standard 24 hour period. ThawSpace files will stay until the end of term break.
DVD playing software is on every classroom computer. This software will auto launch upon inserting a disc in a “logged in” computer.
To avoid potential issues and security threats to your account, we ask for you to please “log out”, but not shutdown the classroom computers. This will assist us greatly for the computer will be ready to use by the next LC user.