Backpack the Oregon Coast
Backpack Dunes NST
The central Oregon coast is a spectacular and unique location perfect for summer backpacking, where you will explore transition forests, play on giant sand dunes, and relax on gorgeous sandy beaches. Each day we’ll hike through this remarkable landscape carrying everything we need on our backs, and sleep in tents at night. This trip will have two sections, so although most of the trip will be with your small group of 10 new students, you’ll also get to meet new students in the other groups. (Detailed trip description coming soon).
(actual itinerary will be adjusted to the weather and group)
- Thursday: Arrive to campus in the morning, meet your group and collect any outdoor gear you are borrowing from College Outdoors. Eat lunch on campus, then drive about 3.5hrs to the trailhead on the central Oregon Coast. Camp at the trailhead
- Friday: Hike for 3-4 hours through coastal ecosystems and dunes to campsite 1, next to a freshwater lake.
- Saturday: Day hike to explore the coastline and play on the dunes, return to campsite 1 at night.
- Sunday: Hike 3-4 hours to campsite 2, next to a freshwater river.
- Monday: Hike 1-2 hours to the spot where you will be picked up, then drive 15 minutes to Camp Cleawox where you will reunite with the other backpacking group and the Hike & Paddleboard the Oregon Coast groups for skits and games
- Tuesday: Return to campus, clean up gear, move into residence halls and have one last meal with your group!
Dates: Thursday, Aug. 22 - Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024
Cost: $975. Financial aid is applied for high-need students who qualify. Vegan and non-medical specialty diets have an additional $35 charge. Vegetarian diets and food allergies do not have an additional fee.
Rigor: Moderate - High
Trip Type: Backpacking
These forms can be completed only after you have received a trip placement email, and are due by Tuesday, June 20th. You will need to log into your L&C Portal to complete these forms.
- This is a new trip for 2024!