High Desert Hike
Trips to be scheduled.
|Come explore the dry side of the Columbia River Gorge east of the town of Hood River. This dramatic landscape, sculpted by the largest floods in earth’s geologic history, has spectacular hiking trails, a lot less rain, and usually a good supply of sunshine. Join us to get some exercise, fresh air, and to see spring come to the east side of the Cascade mountains while hiking up to some stunning viewpoints above the Columbia River.
How to Register
- Friday, February 2nd, 2024
Trip Fee: $38
- Day Trip
No experience necessary! This trip is a great option for anyone who wants to see some of Oregon’s natural wonders, but may or may not have any experience in the outdoors. We’ll plan to hike 3-6 miles, with plenty of time to take in the scenery.
Participants should be prepared to spend several hours outdoors walking on uneven terrain carrying day packs. This trip lends itself well to a wide variety of accessibility accommodations, including mobility accommodations. Contact email@example.com.
What to Expect
- ☐ Sleeping indoors
- ☐ Sleeping outdoors
- ☐ Electricity
- ☐ Wifi
- ☐ Cell phone service
- ☐ Heating
- ☐ Beds
- ☑ Bathrooms
- ☐ Gender-inclusive bathrooms
- ☐ Showers
- ☐ Wheelchair accessible
- ☑ Food for any Dietary Restrictions
College Outdoors trips have a Pre-Trip Meeting (PTM) prior to the trip to help you prepare, which takes place at the Sequoia warehouse on the Graduate Campus.
At this meeting you’ll meet the trip leaders and other participants, learn more about the trip activity, location, and schedule, and be given a packing list of everything you need for your trip. The trip leaders and Sequoia staff will then help you find and borrow anything on the packing list that you’d like to borrow. We have high-quality outdoor clothing and equipment, and it’s all free to use for your trip!
If you miss a Pre-Trip Meeting, check your email for important info you missed.
Sequoia is the College Outdoors warehouse, located on the Graduate Campus. Everything you’ll need is available for free when you come on a College Outdoors Trip. At Sequoia you will find:
- Clothing needed for your trip, including any relevant outerwear and specialty items needed for the activity. Sizes range from XS - XXL and come in gendered an non-gendered designs.
- Gear needed for your trip, such as sleeping bags, backpacks, water bottles, and much much more.
- Equipment such as tents, cookware, first-aid kits, and boats, which trip leaders will pack for each trip as needed.
- Gender-neutral bathrooms, which can also be used as changing rooms.
- Staff available to answer your questions.