Personal Care Attendants (PCAs)

Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) Policy

Lewis & Clark College is committed to an accessible learning and living environment for students. A student who is limited in performing self-care functions may require a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) to participate in the College’s activities, services, or programs.

  • The College does not provide PCA services and is not responsible for the coordination of PCA services, for financial responsibilities of PCA services, or for any consequences resulting from the services provided by the PCA.
  • PCAs are hired, paid, and employed by the student they are assisting.

A student seeking an accommodation of a PCA must first request and have an accommodation approved by the Office of Student Accessibility (OSA) prior to the PCA attending classes with the student or providing services to the student in on-campus housing.

PCAs are not classroom or lab assistants who provide academic support in the classroom. Should a student require that academic accommodation, students can request it through the OSA.

If a student will require a PCA while living in the residence halls, the student must register with OSA and request housing accommodations through Campus Living.

Questions or concerns about the role of a PCA are to be directed to OSA staff.