Purpose: To provide eligible faculty and staff with dental insurance.
Policy Statement: Staff who work at least 20 hours per week on a regular (not temporary) basis faculty with at least .50 FTE are eligible to enroll in dental insurance plans sponsored by the College. Adjunct faculty with at least .50 FTE are also eligible to enroll in dental insurance plans. Employees enrolled in dental insurance plans are subject to eligibility rules and benefits outlined in each dental insurance plan document and are required to pay a portion of the premium. Dental insurance plans are subject to change each year on April 1. Applicable premium adjustments occur on the March payroll.
1. Upon hire, benefit eligible faculty and staff will receive a benefits summary containing information about premiums and benefit coverage of available dental plans, the applicable enrollment deadline, and information on how to get assistance.
2. New employees will be provided with an opportunity to attend a benefits orientation session in which dental insurance plan options, enrollment procedures, deadlines, and other related information will be presented. Enrollment forms will be provided.
3. Correctly completed enrollment forms must be turned in to the Office of Human Resources within 31 days of date of hire. Coverage begins on the first day of the month following date of hire. If the 31-day deadline is missed, the only other opportunity to enroll is during the annual open enrollment period unless there is a qualifying event such as loss of other coverage. Open enrollment elections take effect on April 1.
4. Employees are required to pay a portion of the dental insurance premiums. Employee contributions are deducted from the paycheck at the end of the month for the next month's coverage. Employees may elect to pay premiums on a pre-tax. Premiums are subject to change each year on April 1.
5. Employees whose premiums are deducted on an after-tax basis may choose to discontinue their dental insurance at any time by completing the appropriate change of enrollment form. These same employees may also choose to discontinue coverage for one or more dependents at any time while keeping coverage for themselves by completing a change of enrollment form. Employees whose premiums are deducted on a pre-tax basis are subject to IRS regulations regarding mid-year election changes, which require a qualifying event in order to make changes such as canceling coverage or deleting dependents.
6. Each year employees will be notified of the annual open enrollment period. Employees may switch dental insurance plans, add or delete dependents, cancel coverage or begin participation during the annual open enrollment period. Employees who anticipate being absent during the open enrollment period are advised to contact Human Resources no later than February 15 to request open enrollment materials.
7. If there is a qualifying event as described in the applicable Summary Plan Description, employees and their dependents or Domestic Partners may enroll in dental coverage outside of open enrollment. Employees are required to complete the enrollment or change of enrollment form within 31 days of the qualifying event.
8. Employees who take an unpaid leave of absence or who work less than 12 months per year must make arrangements in advance with the Office of Human Resources to pay for benefit premiums or insurance coverage will be discontinued.
9. Covered employees and their dependents who lose insurance coverage for any of the following reasons are eligible to continue dental insurance through COBRA: termination, reduction in hours, divorce or legal separation, death of the employee, eligibility for Medicare, or dependent loss of qualification due to age. Please refer to COBRA policy.
Approved by the Executive Council, June 24, 1992.
Revised April 11, 2002.
Revised November 11, 2004.
Revised April 4, 2008.